DIY Rudder Cap Retrofit?

More
4 years 6 months ago #35269 by Crab Stick
Cheers all,
I'm currently doing a few DIY repairs on my Spec Ski - having now replaced the missing Bungee Cable to the Foot Pedals - I am now considering a retrofit of the missing ( rectangular ) rudder access hatch ( or cap ). It appears that nearly all modern replacement Caps are circular, whereas mine is square or rectangular in shape. I have a few basic ideas of what I might use to seal the open hatch without resorting to forming a new section with glass - some hardened plastic cut to shape would surely do. Any other suggestions from the brains trust before I venture alone?

Attached pic is what I am looking at ...

Best, Crab Stick
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #35274 by tve
Replied by tve on topic DIY Rudder Cap Retrofit?
Why cover? I'd leave it open. Makes it easier to inspect for damage or other problems, and also avoids trapping water in there during storage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Crab Stick

More
4 years 6 months ago #35276 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic DIY Rudder Cap Retrofit?
I would certainly leave it open.  BUT, you have to fill in the 4 holes to disallow water from getting into the hull.  Permanent epoxy best, or can just put screws back in, preferably w/ some sort of caulk.  Water entering the rudder tube will simply run out of bottom, and water entering the steering cable tubes will come out the other end of the tubes or back where it came from, not the hull.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
4 years 6 months ago #35277 by Crab Stick
Replied by Crab Stick on topic DIY Rudder Cap Retrofit?
Thanks for the suggestions gents ... I'll just leave the lid off then - the previous owner stated the very reason the hatch was missing was for ease of inspection also; is this a common practice? I have replaced the missing screws to fill the holes with washers for now and will bed in with some silicon for future security. I had thought it would make the Ski look tidier to replace the hatch ... but looks aren't everything.

More
4 years 6 months ago #35282 by [email protected]

the previous owner stated the very reason the hatch was missing was for ease of inspection also; is this a common practice?

Yep, certainly is here.  I've taken the cover off every ski I've owned (except for the Carbonology boats, where the rudder shaft head sticks up above the deck.  It would be dangerous to leave that exposed in the surf, so on my Zest I left the cover on.)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
4 years 6 months ago #35287 by Wombat661
Replied by Wombat661 on topic DIY Rudder Cap Retrofit?
Get a scratch resistance polycarbonate clear cover from McMaster.

www.mcmaster.com/polycarbonate

Latest Forum Topics