Paddling after biceps tendon tear

More
4 years 5 months ago #35688 by sarzelopez
I´m 2 months removed from surgery to reattach my distal bicep tendon which got ruptured on a non paddling related activity. 

Has anyone here dealt with a similar injury? 

Therapy is going great but I have no idea what to expect as a timeline to get back on the water even if it would be taking it slow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #35697 by manta

sarzelopez wrote: I´m 2 months removed from surgery to reattach my distal bicep tendon which got ruptured on a non paddling related activity. 

Has anyone here dealt with a similar injury? 

Therapy is going great but I have no idea what to expect as a timeline to get back on the water even if it would be taking it slow.

Hi

When I had my shoulder repaired I also needed to have my long head biceps tendon reattached to my shoulder. My injury happened due to an arm bar in an MMA fight so my tear was severe both in the shoulder and bicep. I had the surgery and spent 6 weeks in a sling after the operation. After the sling came off it was another 6 weeks of hard physical therapy and then another 6 weeks where I was able to start doing weights.

After 16 weeks (4 months) I was back to normal movement and training. It was another two months and I was able to do pull-ups with my BW. All in it was a 6 months journey to mostly full strength. At the time I was not a paddler so cannot answer from a paddling specific standpoint.

I hope that helps in some way. The key is do your rehab exercises religiously and you will recover.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35719 by CrabStick
Sorry to be blunt but you need to ask your surgeon and never take advice from anyone else. Their advice may be more cautious than what you want to hear but the aim is to avoid a re-rupture which requires revision surgery or permanent weakness. You don't want either.
Distal biceps is different to shoulder and I'd expect the tensile forces to be higher.

CrabStick, Perth Western Australia
Current Boats: Epic V9 ultra, Fenn Swordfish S, Fenn Spark S
Previous: Think Eze, Stellar SR, Carbonology Boost LV, Fenn BlueFin S

More
4 years 4 months ago #35720 by manta

CrabStick wrote: Sorry to be blunt but you need to ask your surgeon and never take advice from anyone else. Their advice may be more cautious than what you want to hear but the aim is to avoid a re-rupture which requires revision surgery or permanent weakness. You don't want either.
Distal biceps is different to shoulder and I'd expect the tensile forces to be higher.

I could not agree more. Everyone recovers differently. The key is to listen to your doc and do the rehab exercises. 
I had a mate with the same shoulder tear as mine and he was not allowed to SUP paddle for 1 year after the surgery. So yes, we heal differently and it can be a different recommendation depending on the sport. 

Find out what you are allowed to do. You may be allowed to run or to cycle sooner than you can paddle so at least you can keep your engine in good condition. For me that was the worst, the loss of cardio vascular fitness. 

Good luck with the healing and rehab.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35721 by sarzelopez
Thanks for the info on your recovery process.

6 months is what I was originally told also. I spent 4 weeks in a brace and splint, then 2 weeks to regain mobility via therapy (this is my first injury ever and I couldn´t believe how stiff it had gotten) and now doing the strengthening excercises religiously as instructed by the PT.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35807 by flyingriverdog
I "Snapped" my distal bicepts tendon completely off a few years ago. I can't remember the timeline, but I also took it slowly. I am happy to report that for me I have 100% recovered, and pull as hard as I can. I actually have to think about which arm it was. I am 59. Cliff Roach

More
4 years 3 months ago #35838 by quickwaves
I had a 50% rupture, and as we scheduled surgery, my doctor changed his mind and we cancelled; I gave it some time and rehab, and discovered that although the biceps tendon provides for supination (wrist turning upwards), the forward stroke is primarily a pronated (wrist turned down) movement. With proper technique, the wrist stays pronated, which minimizes stress on the tear unless, for example, you are arm paddling or bracing heavily and hard in bumpy conditions. Good news eh?! I was ecstatic :) Just do your rehab, adjust expectations, practice patience, protect it, and keep paddling!

Latest Forum Topics