Hanging ski off the garage wall

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35700 by Arcturus
I need to make room to store a new ski. Right now, the two-kayak floor rack is occupied by two sea kayaks. I am selling the one that is miine but do not expect any takers until at least spring. In the meantime, there is also a Rubbermaid Fasttrack wall-mounted track several feet above where the kayaks are.

The Fasttrack rail accepts a variety of devices that can hold gardening tools, skis, bicycles, bins, etc. The four “arms” I put on the rail are only holding a few paddles now and have plenty of weight capacity to hold a ski safely. The arms can easily be moved to adjust lateral spacing.

However...I would need to suspend the skit hanging on its side, using, wide straps affixed to two of the arms. Hanging kayaks from their sides is safe, but what about skis?

The ski has the WWR layup, a carbon-Kevlar blend, It has not yet arrived and I am trying to prepare a suitable space for it.

Thanks for any assistance.

Photo attached. As you can see, the arms protrude only a few inches out from the wall.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Arcturus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35702 by SpaceSputnik
I use this, works great.
There are cheaper versions of the exact same rack.
Your space looks similar to mine.
Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35709 by Arcturus
You probably noticed that the kayak rack is a Suspenz system. It works great, I agree. I plan to store the ski in one of the two spaces on it...after I sell my kayak. The sling differs in that it holds the kayaks either straight on their sides or angled backward a little.

Using the Fasttrack rail above to hang the ski would be a short-term method, and I’d like to keep that track there for other purposes. All the other suitable wall space in the garage is occupied by shelving.

The question is maybe better asked as “Does hanging a ski on its side damage it?”
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Arcturus.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35711 by SpaceSputnik
Didn't notice it in the corner of your pic.
I don't know if a ski can be stored like that. 
But, I know that a lot of people hang sea kayaks like you are thinking. Can you store the ski on suspenz and the kayak above? I was at a friend's house last night and he hangs all his kayaks like that. They are much sturdier boats.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35714 by Arcturus
The kayak weighs about twice what the ski does, so I don’t want to deal with storing it high up.

The Suspenz kayak arms are only 11” wide at the horizontal part. Not wide enough to store a ski flat, upside down. But there is a bend that rises at about 45 degrees, enabling kayaks to be angled back (supported on the straps). It may be possible to angle a ski likewise, with a bit of foam padding, and possibly with the bucket towards the wall instead of facing forward.

As for the Fasttrack track, I might be able to assemble some scrap wood that would hang down from the existing arms and have a wider horizontal platform. Then I could put the ski upside down on the platform. With the ski weight being so much less than the payload of the arms and track, I doubt having a wider platform would cause problems. Still, it would be easier to hang some wide straps with the ski hanging on its side.

Latest Forum Topics