Action Cam recommendations

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 3 months ago #35811 by MCImes
Action Cam recommendations was created by MCImes
I've been gifted an action cam for Christmas and need to decide between a GoPro Hero 7 Silver, Black, or 
Garmin Virb Ultra 30.

I want the GPS speed  track overlay, plus at least 60 mins battery life (and really more like 2 hours would be better). Obviously good video quality. Is the 7 Black Hypersmooth better than the Virb for jerky conditions? Im looking for good video in rough conditions.

Anyone want to advocate for GoPro or Garmin? I dont have an action cam, so what do you need besides the camera? (gopro is 'waterproof' but is a case needed anyways? garmin? what else wouldnt I think of?)

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35812 by LaPerouseBay
If you want the overlay, only Garmin offers it.  

The garmin virb 30 is almost as good as a  Gopro 5.  Those are 3 year old cameras. That's a long time in the camera world..  The 7 and 8 are far superior.  

I've been overlaying data on my gopro videos since before Garmin had an action cam.  It's not that hard - so that's an option.  

If you really need the smoothing, the Gopro 8 is far superior to the 7.  Check out the split screen reviews...  

That's where you really need to start.  Just google the reviews and start learning.  You are going to need to learn a few things if it's your first action cam.  There really is a lot to know...  They are awesome, whatever you choose.  

downwind dilettante

More
4 years 3 months ago #35813 by RedBack
Replied by RedBack on topic Action Cam recommendations

I wouldn't rule out an Insta 360 One X either, - in fact, this will be my next camera purchase:

Have fun!

More
4 years 3 months ago #35814 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Action Cam recommendations
I highly recommend a fat gecko single suction cup mount:  www.amazon.com/dp/B002K8Q0EU

... Filler text so surfski.info doesn't consider this to be a spam message... Sigh...

More
4 years 3 months ago #35816 by SpaceSputnik
I use a GoPro 5 black with a dive housing that also has an extender battery. It gives me guaranteed 4 hours of recording time at 1080p 60 fps and GPS on. I am yet to run the cam down flat. In my mind it's a winner combo. Compared to Garmin I can't do the HR overlay, but I am not sure I ever wanted it.
The housing is this: 
Oumers Housing Diving Case for GoPro Hero7 Black/ Hero(2018)/ Hero5 Black/ Hero6 with Extended Battery 2300mah & Bracket, Replacement Waterproof Diving Cover/Protective Case 45M Underwater Photography Shooting www.amazon.ca/dp/B072WNKBG2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gpvaEbFYHJ8AJ

It shows as unavailable but it comes under couple other brands such as Telesin: TELESIN 2300mAh Convenient Power Battery Backpack Extended Battery Backup Batteries with Waterproof Case Housing for GoPro Hero 6 GoPro Hero 5 Accessories www.amazon.ca/dp/B0732WZFTX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ktvaEb27XJBE9
Inexpensive and totally works.
Since it requires removing Gopros battery door to plug in the extender battery it won't work with models that use a non-removable battery.
Also I am not sure it it would work with 7 and 8.
In my mind, this housing is such a value add, if I were to buy a new Gopro, I'd go with whatever model that housing works with even at the expense of new features.
But since 5 black contains all essential features as is (gps, remote compatibility etc) I am happy.

GoPro 5 is a little finicky when it comes to transferring and editing videos. But records reliably, and video quality is nice.

A big +1 for the Fat Gecko mount.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35817 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Action Cam recommendations
BTW, with any suction cup mount be sure to also use a lanyard. My fat gecko mount came loose once ~ 1 minute after calmly paddling away from the dock because evidently I hadn't attached it correctly. Hasn't come loose when going for a swim...

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #35818 by SpaceSputnik
I usually attach it twice, it's never right the first time but after the second time it stays on fine, remounts and all.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
4 years 2 months ago #35830 by LaPerouseBay
The gopro smoothing has been improved enough to eliminate the need for a gimbal.   

I traded in a 3 silver to gopro for $100 off a new 8 black.  It should be here this week.  I also sold an old session to a surfer (they love the tiny form factor).  That took most of the sting out of the 8"s retail price. 

Anxious to see what the new cam will do. Should be fun for downwind videos and self coaching.  I like the new small form factor of the 8, it's almost as light as a session.  Really amazing how much the tech has advanced.  

Those 360 cans are super cool.   That's going to be great for downwind racing.  The viewer will be able to watch the action all around.  The VR headsets would be good for that, even the tablets are doing it.  Great stuff.  

downwind dilettante

More
4 years 2 months ago #35886 by LaPerouseBay
Look up in the blue sky and you can see a tiny waterspot reflection moving around, independent of the image.  That's the gopro 8 "hyper smooth".  It's all done in the camera.  That's the first time I recorded with it.  4k, 60fps.  FOV  set to "linear", to remove the fisheye.  "Narrow" width is the same "anti fisheye", but zoomed in.  "Hyper smooth High", not "Boost"   Standard head mount strap on a baseball cap.     

downwind dilettante

Latest Forum Topics