Surfski Bucket Padding

More
4 years 2 months ago #35882 by sarzelopez
Hello, I´ve read on most sites and on lots of post on the forum that people use butt and thigh pads.

Could someone share a picture of how their bucket is set up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #35884 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Surfski Bucket Padding
What are you trying to achieve? Big pads under your bum are useful if the hard surfski bucket hurts you after an hour, or if you want to sit higher for posture, or if you want a stability exercise. Thinner pads under the front or back of your bum can tilt your pelvis so you have a better posture. Pads to the left & right of your hips can help you not slide sideways in the seat and thereby give you a better connection with the boat. So it's really a question of what you're trying to achieve.

I recommend you take some 1/4" or 5mm thick fine bubble package foam like you probably get tons of if you order stuff online. Then cut some shapes out and tape them down with some removable tape, like PVC tape. Then paddle for a bit and see whether it helps you or not. Be sure to use something slippery, not a grippy foam, else you won't be able to rotate.

Once you like something you can upgrade to more durable foam (or not) and use double-side acrylic mounting tape or stay with PVC. If you need for the surface to be more slippery, get some "slip tape" made from high-density polyurethane or so, it's not cheap but works very well. Experimentation is key and I recommend going back and forth a couple of times between different options to see which really helps.

More
4 years 2 months ago #35885 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Surfski Bucket Padding
This is what I have in my Evo. Cell-phone sized pieces of interlocking foam flooring, wrapped in Gorilla tape as well as low-friction tape and velcroed to the bucket where the widest part of my hips is.
Works very well, improves stability and doesn't affect rotation. As is, this bucket is too loose for me.
As far as bum pads go, I never liked them. It improves my posture but decreases stability and starts hurting me after a while. I can spend forever in a naked bucket of all 3 skis I have owned.
Have the exact same pads in my SES but set more forward. That bucket is tighter so I can't used them on sides like that, but it works to the same effect in both boats.

Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics