Stability, Epic V8 vs Nelo 520 S

2 months 1 week ago #35894 by qmento
Hello, does anyone have experience with both the V8 (new generation) and the Nelo 520S? I'm curious as to how they compare in terms of stability. The long story is my wife wants an upgrade from the V5 she currently paddles, space is a consideration so we don't want a ski longer than 5.5m (18ft). She's short but has long legs and fits in the V8 bucket quite nicely and has no issues paddling one. We're just looking at the Nelo as an option. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #35895 by Atlas
Hi qmento.
Don't be fooled by the dimensions of the Nelo 520. It is definitely less stable than the V8. It has quite a round underwater shape unlike the V8 which is very similar to most sea kayaks in that it has a fairly flat hull under the cockpit. In fact the Nelo 520 is less stable than the narrower Epic V8 pro. Having said that it is a very fun little ski and most paddlers can adapt to it quickly unless gale force downwinders are the goal. In that case the V8 would be ideal. If you can demo a Carbonology Sport Cruze it might be a good option. I really like the way South African skis handle in rough ocean conditions. My downwind ski of choice is a Carbonology Sport Boost LV and I still use my Fenn Bluefin when it is literally blowing a gale.

Current skis:
Epic V10L, Think Zen, Fenn Bluefin, Fenn XT double

Previous skis
Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Swordfish S, Fenn XT, Spirit PRS

Most with DK rudders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: qmento

2 months 1 week ago #35898 by qmento
Thank you for the advice! We never considered a Cruze and will look into it. Re: the 520, while the prospect of improved performance is alway tempting we're in our 60s so longevity is a priority; so your comments are much appreciated.

2 months 1 week ago #35901 by Cerca Trova
Qmento, having a 520, and recently selling my V8 Pro and getting a G3 V10 I will say the 520 is the better DW ski. The V8 Pro faster in the flats. The 520 doesn't have the initial stability of the Pro, yet the ultimate stability of the 520 in bigger conditions is awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: qmento

2 months 6 days ago #35913 by qmento
I want to thank you for your comment on my post. It was very helpful.  We checked out the Carbonology Cruze and ended up ordering one for my wife. While she paddles my V8 with ease V8s are relatively hard to get where we live. Ocean Paddle Sports, CA, USA, the nearest Carbonology dealer, was a pleasure to work with. And also, despite being in our 60s and despite the fact that the missus is very athletic and wouldn't have issues adapting to a 520, we wanted a ski where she could safely get home if conditions turned from beautiful to absolute s**t in the middle of a long paddle (and it does so quite often where we live). Your experience is much appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas

Latest Forum Topics

my first surfski (3 Posts)

1 day 5 hours ago

Stellar SR 2G Test - beginners perspective (5 Posts)

1 day 19 hours ago
Protected by R Antispam