Has anyone used padded bibless cycling shorts before as paddling shorts?

More
3 years 10 months ago #36781 by 1ncognitro
Recently, I've started commuting to my paddling club using my bike, and I have these pair of cycling shorts with gel padding in them, bought from www.decathlon.sg/p/8549459-121709-rc500-...k.html#/3813-200-2xl .

I don't really have access to padded paddling pants like the Vaikobi's, and having one pair for both sports would be pretty nice.

Has anyone used cycling pants as padded paddling pants before? If so, please do let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jef58
  • Visitor
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #36783 by Jef58
Yes, I wear my old cycling bibs on the ski. I'm not sure the padding helps as much in the boat as it does on the bike though. All in all, they make good paddling shorts in warm water. I wear full bibs for cycling, but regular shorts should be no different.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Jef58.

More
3 years 10 months ago #36784 by Encino
I would suspect that the "chamois" padding in cycling shorts would absorb a fair amount of water....which would then render them pretty uncomfortable.  I have a pair of Vaikobi shorts, the padding is very thin and non-absorbent, at least not noticeably so. They get wet, yes, but it's certainly not like wearing a wet diaper.  
All that being said, most newer, higher end cycling shorts/bibs have pretty techy, moisture wicking type padding, so really, it would come down to how much wetness would bother you.  

More
3 years 10 months ago #36787 by Arcturus
Triathlon shorts have thinner padding and are intended to be worn running, cycling, and swimming.

I have used them for paddling in a kayak but not with my surf ski. The question is, do you need the padding in your ski or not? The padding for cycling and triathlon shorts is sized (and probably contoured) specifically for pedaling on a narrow bike saddle. I don’t know if they would be comfortable in an unpadded ski bucket.

The padding in mine are more like microfleece than padding.

I literally just received a pair of Vaikobi shorts this afternoon and have not tried them on the water yet. 

More
3 years 10 months ago #36788 by mrcharly
I used to do a lot of cycling and have many pairs of padded shorts.

Skin irritation when the shorts are wet would be my concern. I recommend buttering yourself up with some sort of barrier cream (there are lots sold for cyclists, but sudocreme does a good job).

I wear running tights (full or 3/4) length, no underwear. Avoids skin irritation or rubbing (major concern for me, I had 2nd-degree burns on my buttocks and thighs, my skin is a bit fragile there).

If you are getting major soreness, maybe get a cheap yoga mat, cut out a pad and lightly glue down. Add a slippery cover if you are not able to get decent rotation on the pad.

Latest Forum Topics