Comparing a Gara Odin Small to an Epic Small Mid Wing

More
3 years 7 months ago #37240 by qmento
Hello All, 
Does anyone have experience with both a Gara Odin Small and and an Epic Small Mid Wing? I don't have the opportunity to demo paddles where I live. I'm interested in how each performs when paddling in the ocean; for instance which one is more "forgiving", which one is the least tiring to use - that sort of thing. I currently use an Epic but would like to try something different. Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37244 by CrabStick
Hi qmento,
Have a look at some posts from last year under topic / title Which paddle? Nell gives a good description of the characteristics of the Odin. 
I'd just add that I remain very happy with my Odin Small.  There's nothing wrong with the Epic and it's certainly forgiving but the Odin just feels better to me with a strong catch and snappy acceleration plus is light and easy on shoulders. The locking mechanism is best I've used but that only includes 4 brands.

CrabStick, Perth Western Australia
Current Boats: Epic V9 ultra, Fenn Swordfish S, Fenn Spark S
Previous: Think Eze, Stellar SR, Carbonology Boost LV, Fenn BlueFin S
The following user(s) said Thank You: qmento

More
3 years 7 months ago #37245 by agooding2
The Gara Small is much smaller than the Epic Small Mid (677 sq cm vs 735 sq cm) so that alone will make it much less tiring to use.  I've never used the Gara myself but I've found a smaller blade allows quicker turnover and less fatigue.

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

More
3 years 6 months ago #37281 by gstamer
I annually do a 300 mile race (Everglades Challenge) and have used the Gara Odin Small for that event several times. It's a "gamma" style teardrop and has a clean entry and exit. Construction is excellent and lightweight, it's about 2oz lighter than my (old) Epic SMW. At 700 cm2 blade area, it is smaller than an Epic Small Mid wing at 735 cm2, so comparing these two paddles is Apples and Oranges. The Odin will be less tiring to use, but the larger Epic has have more potential power. Personally, I'd use the Epic SMW for 10 milers and such, and I use the Gara Odin small for ultra long distance stuff.

FWIW, I switched from the Gara Odin S to the Meek G-series small (parallel blade shape 708 cm2). I find it's easier to use for ultra long distance when I'm bone-tired.

Latest Forum Topics