Footplate damaging the bucket

More
3 years 7 months ago #37312 by sarzelopez
Hello,

I just finished repairing some damage done to the bucket right under the foot plate. 2 big "gashes" under the edge of the footplate rubbing against the bucket.

Do you guys put some kind of rubber/foam/whatever between the boat and the plate?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37314 by mickeyA
Epic’s come with a rubber piece fitted to bottom of plate, but it falls off easily.   I put pvc pipe tape below footplate, same tape as I put on sides to protect from paddle banging. I am not sure if the tape under plate is foolproof, but has to be helping. 

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
3 years 7 months ago #37328 by LaPerouseBay
I'm someone that will occasionally push "too hard on the Epic pedals.   If I bomb down a swell and freak out, I'll jamb my feet tight and my pelvis hard against the back of the bucket.   So hard that I've made soft spots in all my ski buckets and under the footplates where that rubber thing was.  

Those weak spots in the gelcoat have been repaired and reinforced for later freak outs.

I was smashing the pedals so hard that the pin locking mechanism was getting trashed, getting wobbly and eventually destroying the screws mounts in the footplate.  Using tall footplates didn't help, because the pivot point on the rails was not ideal.   (Epic is doing something different in some of their boats to remedy this.  I could see by the holes in a recent tall footplate order.  Dealer needed to know which boat I had, because Epic is setting higher rails in some boats - probably  that carbon layup they do...) 

Anyhow, I've smashed holes under the footplate where the plate hits the bottom of the boat.  That happens if you lose the little rubber bumper, things get loose....  Plates system is not designed for that type of abuse...    It's all been reinforced and repaired now.  If you hear something creaking, you might want to have a look.  

So, to prevent this ever happening again, I decided to go the extra mile and mount it all solid.   I have my distance dialed in and never loan my boats.  A local boat builder gave me some scraps of some very special foam he has.  It's crazy expensive, something like $400 for a 1" thick 4'x8' sheet.   Rigid, waterproof, easy to work and feather light.  

I started by using a layer of vinyl pipe wrap tape at all areas on the footplate and boat.  So, If need be, I can pull it all out.  

Basically, I pre fitted all the blocks perfectly, (some weird angles in there) with the pins helping me locate the position on the rails.  

Used double stick tape to mount the foam blocks to the footplate.  I could slide the footplate fore and aft to dial in the fit.  Then took out the pins (they are not needed) put in a bead of urethane glue and slid the plate up tight to the boat.   Glue acts as a perfect 'shim' and adhesive to mount the foam/plate to the boat.  

It is unbelievably secure.  Changed the behavior of my 8 pro and 12.  Zero wiggle, wobble, etc.  With the high blocks, I can press hard with the balls of my feet and the tall foot plate will not pivot.  

The footplates do not contact the bottom of the ski, where the rubber thing used to be.  There is an air gap now.  I check it periodically and It hasn't moved a whisker.

The other benefit to this system is that you can tie off those lines so that they will never slip again.   Rudder is always perfectly centered and cannot deviate.  

The spectra line will fit thru those standard epic grommets two times.  No alteration needed.  Perfect snug fit.  So, I thread them in the standard way, then back thru and terminate it with a bowline.   Plenty of extra string if I ever need it.  The bowline is zip tied to tidy things up - the snugness of the lines thru the grommets is plenty.  No zip tie necessary.  

I'm super happy with the system.  Zero changes to anything stock Epic, and it all comes out.  (with a saw!).  

I'm a woodworker, so I tend to overdo some stuff, but hey, it's my boat and I'm tired of fussing with strings and such.

Rock solid footplates add a ton of stability.  And peace of mind.  Very, very strong system.

downwind dilettante
Attachments:

More
3 years 7 months ago #37329 by CrabStick
Nice set up. That takes real commitment to leg length but you are really getting some upside with super solid foot plate and fixed length rudder lines. There's a reasonable gap either side of plate - does it allow unrestricted flow of water? Just something to look out for (which I'm sure you thought of) if anyone is brave enough to do similar.
Is the foam on the bucket side of footplate for heel comfort? I get sore posterior heels if paddle over 2 hours but worry that if I padded it, my posture would be affected as prefer heels as low as possible relative to seat.

CrabStick, Perth Western Australia
Current Boats: Epic V9 ultra, Fenn Swordfish S, Fenn Spark S
Previous: Think Eze, Stellar SR, Carbonology Boost LV, Fenn BlueFin S

More
3 years 7 months ago #37330 by waverider
Thin wedge of material, size and type dependant on how big the gap is . Notch cut across wedge at a depth and height that when you slide it in to place from behind the foot rest the lip "clicks" into place, It locks the bottom plate in position, with wedge stopping it from mobing (think door wedge action. The notch stops wedge from sliding out. To remove in case you want to adjust leg setting, pull bottom of plate towards you to release pressure on wedge and it slides out.

simple timber wedge works well if you have a big gap 

More
3 years 7 months ago #37334 by LaPerouseBay

CrabStick wrote: There's a reasonable gap either side of plate - does it allow unrestricted flow of water? Just something to look out for (which I'm sure you thought of) if anyone is brave enough to do similar.

That's all stock Epic.  No modification.  Water drains fine.

CrabStick wrote: Is the foam on the bucket side of footplate for heel comfort? I get sore posterior heels if paddle over 2 hours but worry that if I padded it, my posture would be affected as prefer heels as low as possible relative to seat.

Not for comfort - it's a last line of defense to keep that plate away from the boat.  It is comfy though.  
It's not very thick.  Brushed finish deckpad stuff from NSI.  Very nice grip on the plate.  

downwind dilettante

Latest Forum Topics