Mcgregor rhythm vs v12 g1 vs SF S

More
3 years 7 months ago #37332 by mickeyA
I do not know much about the rhythm, other than it is not the skinniest mcgregor/knysa ski (classic).  I own v12 g1 and SF S.  Which of these two is rhythm more comparable to, mainly regarding stability, but also flatwater speed?  Would mainly use on ~flat water.  I did read the informative Erik borgnes review, though that is all I found.  I am 6” 200 lbs. if that matters.  Thanks.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37337 by zachhandler
I only paddled a rhythm once on flat water, but for about 90 minutes. It is fast. Roughly  V12  G1 speed and stability. I think for me it was a hair quicker than the V12 G1 but I am light enough (165#) that shorter skis always go a little better. The Classic, which I probably paddled 10 minutes, is a rocket with v14 speed and stability. I heard Lee was making a new model called the “magic” with better downwind manners, though timing coincided with COVID and i have no idea where the development is. Construction and finish on the two macgregor skis i saw was on par with any of the big international brands. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
3 years 7 months ago #37338 by omarchacon8
I don’t have any experience with the rhythm. But I do with the swordfish s and v12 first gen.  I tried the classic once in flatwater. It seems like a very fast surfski in the flat but also very unstable. From what I’ve heard from other paddlers that have the rhythm is that it’s more stable. The McGregor series is more of a surfski/k1 type of design made for speed but not ocean racing as they are too tippy. What it comes down to is to your goals. Where do you paddle? What are your expectations and goals with this boat. Swordfish s is one the most amazing downwind boats that I have ever paddled but it looses a lot of ground in flatwater. Hope this helps. 

NK 640 Cx, NK Double, Nelo 600, Nelo 520 2nd Gen, V7, V8, Bluefin S, McGreggor Rhytm, McGreggor Clasisic, Think uno max, Vega,Vega flex, elite s, swordfish s, nelo cinco k1, V12 gen 1, Nelo 560 gen1, mako 6

More
3 years 7 months ago #37342 by mickeyA
I guess my dilemma is do I swap my black tip V12 g1 for 22lb knysa mcgregor rhythm for about same money?  V12 is almost new—bought brand new, although prior gen, a couple yrs ago with minimal use so far.  Assume rhythm is similar.   V12 is heavier, but more of a known quantity.  Flat water is my main use.  I like v12-type ski for building confidence, increasing stability, on flat, while using SF S or V10Sport for ocean, rough, etc.  I only wish my v12 were lighter/red tip. So if lighter rhythm were about as stable, comfortable, fast as v12,  and can handle my 200+ lbs, I might be willing to swap liquid/known quantity epic for highly illiquid knysa.  Thanks.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
3 years 6 months ago #37494 by mickeyA
I bought the Knysna Racing McGregor Rhythm and really like it.  Compared to V12 g1 performance, it is much smaller and lighter (22lbs vs 34), but is noticeably twitchier.  I do not have trouble staying upright or going all out in flat water on the Rhythm.  Now the V12 feels extremely stable—and durable.  Makes me realize V12 is truly meant for downwind.  Both are exceptionally comfortable.  The Rhythm clocked in a little faster in back to back time trials.  It makes we wonder how much the lighter weight matters.  Certainly feels quicker, even if just on starts.  I have never paddled a K1, but this has to be leaning towards that, while the V12 is true surfski, ready to DW while also very fast on flats.  Since my goal is to train and gain stability and confidence in flats, I am going with the less stable Rhythm and put my new-ish condition V12 up for sale (anyone in SE USA??), though I am now thinking of keeping it just for downwinding.  Both excellent boats.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37496 by zachhandler
Glad you are enjoying the rhythm! I only paddled it once so my memory of its stability may be off a bit. I also paddle mostly k1 in recent years so i have become less sensitive to the stability differences of skis on flatwater. The rhythm is fast, and short boats that accelerate well are very joyful on flat water. I fully subscribe to Boyan’s dogma about the benefits of stable skis. But on flatwater there is something to be gained by challenging your balance. The key is challenging it the right amount. If you are in a boat that is way too tippy you just end up survival paddling and it is impossible to use good technique. But a boat that is just a little tipper than you are used to can actually force you to use better technique. That is my experience at least. Sounds like you found the right boat in that regard. Congrats! 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Latest Forum Topics