Dry top fit

More
3 years 2 months ago #37954 by jsapan
Dry top fit was created by jsapan
Hi – I just got my first (semi) dry top.  It's a LevelSix Borealis in large.  I'm 5'9", 180lbs and large seems like the right size except there's a comical amount of excess fabric under the armholes.  Is this standard?  Do other brands have different cuts?

For reference I have a nylon NRS splash jacket and a GoreTex Kokatat splash jacket both in large.  They're baggy, obviously, but nothing like the armholes of the LevelSix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #37960 by Cryder
Replied by Cryder on topic Dry top fit
Funny, I just bought an NRS splash top (size XL), and am going to return for the same exact reason. I'm 6'3" / 200# and fit, but this thing is cut for an obese "paddler" with a comical amount of room in the belly. Or a pregnant dude. For the record I have no plans to become either... It's also far to heavy of fabric. In comparison I have a Kokatak splash jacket that is much better; super light, and athletic enough cut to be paddled at a high intensity level (ala downwind surfski), but after three years of day-in-day-out winter use it's on the slope to the Goodwill. Going to try running jackets next, but they are um... cut for runners. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More
3 years 2 months ago #37962 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Dry top fit
I am not a road biker but i once bought a thin pearl izumi waterproof breatheable cycling jacket because it was cheap. Very thin, no pockets, just a zipper down the front. The cut is perfect for paddling. Slim fitting but long down the back and full shoulder range of movement. If you think about it aggressive aero road biking position is very similar to kayak position. I tuck the sleeves into pogies or neoprene mitts when it is really cold and it is great. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #37963 by jsapan
Replied by jsapan on topic Dry top fit
Cryder -- You're right, the Kokatat splash jacket is cut much better.  I don't mind the bagginess in the torso on the NRS jacket as long as the sleeves aren't awful and it's nice to have something a little heavier weight.  I almost went with a medium in the NRS jacket, but felt slightly restricted in the shoulders.  With the LevelSix, even the sleeve length is completely wrong...

If money was no object, I'd definitely get a heavier Kokatat semi-dry top.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by jsapan.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #38043 by jsapan
Deleted.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by jsapan. Reason: Replied to wrong post

More
3 years 1 month ago #38045 by jsapan
Update:  got the Palm Vertigo in large and the fit is great (maybe even a little small since I've got slightly tubby).  Close fitting, high arm holes.  I'm not looking to do any hardcore cold water paddling, so the light weight is perfect. And unlike the Level Six, it has both a neoprene neck gasket and latex gaskets at the ankles.  The outer fabric is also way softer and less "crinkly."

Latest Forum Topics