Ski for surf - rotomolded?

More
2 years 7 months ago #38825 by STC67
Hi,
How tough are rotomolded skis in the surf zone? 
I paddle a Stellar SR in flat water and just starting some ocean paddling when conditions suit.
I'm thinking of getting another shorter ski to paddle in the surf in more varying conditions but would need to be strong enough to manage. I'm not really interested in a spec (SLSC) ski as looking for stability and not intending to race. 
I was thinking of a Nordic Breeze or Epic V5 in rotomolded. 
Anyone have any experience with these in the surf?

Thanks
STC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #38827 by mrcharly
Replied by mrcharly on topic Ski for surf - rotomolded?
I have a Nelo 510.

Not surfed with it much, but paddled quite a bit in rough chop, the kind where you spend a lot of time smacking down into the water.
It copes well with that sort of treatment. Plastic is fairly soft and scratches up easily (but also buffs smooth easily).

Wouldn't be my first choice for surfing, you have to be careful to ride a wave or it will broach (when water catches the rudder).

More
2 years 7 months ago #38829 by STC67
Replied by STC67 on topic Ski for surf - rotomolded?
Thanks, I'm just looking to do ins and outs through the surf, not actually surfing like a wave ski.

Cheers
Shane

More
2 years 7 months ago #38842 by mrcharly
Compared to 'fast' surfskis the 510 is a heavy bathtub. It is 22kgs of fairly fat plastic.

Yesterday I was out in a bit of a breeze. When I rounded an island, the shallow seabed had 'interesting' effects on the swell. Multiple times the hull was in air past the bucket, with a corresponding smash when I landed. 

Absolutely solid, no worries.

• 10155721000024794@facebook
  • Visitor
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #38844 by 10155721000024794@facebook
Replied by 10155721000024794@facebook on topic Ski for surf - rotomolded?
They are much sterdier and less  susceptible of cracking.  For serious wave surfing, look in the Wave Witch Horizon.  
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by 10155721000024794@facebook.

More
2 years 7 months ago #38848 by balance_fit
Absolutely sturdier. I've been paddling a rotomolded V5 for almost a year. Aside from its surfability, the plastic tames vibrations from chop, and provides peace of mind when going out and facing steep breakers, repeatedly. 
And talking about surfability:

Simple, not easy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: STC67

More
2 years 7 months ago #38850 by STC67
Replied by STC67 on topic Ski for surf - rotomolded?
Thanks. I like the look of that.

Being affordable I think I prefer this for a fun paddle in the surf than my new $5k hybrid 
The following user(s) said Thank You: balance_fit

More
2 years 7 months ago #38851 by balance_fit
Awesome! Just make sure you get the surf rudder. It really helps. 
Might seem heavy at first when carrying to the water. Once paddling, it feels quite nimble.

Simple, not easy.

More
2 years 7 months ago #38852 by Gman
Replied by Gman on topic Ski for surf - rotomolded?
Hi STC67, I have a Epic V7, ideal for what you want for the "surf",the only problem I have with it is that it's heavy and a slow. I have a Epic as well V9, its fast but no good for "surf". I'm taking delivery of a Carbonology Sport SurfX in the next couple of days, I'm not competing with it, I just want a ski that's light and won't break in "surf", good luck with what ever you get..
cheers
Graeme

More
2 years 7 months ago #38853 by waverider
Having punched a rudder up through the bottom of a composite i also am reluctant surfing hard into the shallows where there may be rocks lurking. Shore breaker waves are easier to catch than open water waves so you dont always need the constant high speed and quick acceleration that lighter boats offer. Suits shorter boats also. Just dont want to be so heavy that a trolley cart becomes necessary

More
2 years 7 months ago #38861 by mrcharly
The nelo 510 can be converted to lift-up rudder.

Every time I paddle off a steep or rocky beach I'm tempted to get the kit for this. 

More
2 years 2 months ago #39430 by jateureka
I think most of the skis in this vid from Western Australia are plastic Spirit PRS 570, Breeze V5, etc.  Seem to survive OK. :-)       Surf Ski Margaret River Waves (Autumn 2021) - YouTube  

Current: NK Storm 570 carbon lite, Storm 57 race (aramid). Stellar S2E double, Epic V9 custom tourer
Sold: Epic V11 & V12, Stellar S18x, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Evo II

Latest Forum Topics