Maintenance during the off-season

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #39447 by Arcturus
(Ski maintenance, not body maintenance,)

We have a very long off-season. What things should I do to make sure my ski is in good condition for when I can get on the water?

Bailer
Rudder lines and hardware
Footbraces and the hinged top sections
Anything else? Should anything be lubed?

I always hose the ski with fresh water after each paddle to minimize mineral deposits, and I regularly check tightness of bolts. The bailer is stored in its open position and I haven’t had problems with it. The ski is stored indoors and kept out of direct sunlight except when being transported or paddled.

Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Arcturus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #39451 by Ranga
Yes, that sounds about right but it depends on the make of ski and the materials they use. S/S cables are usually the main problem and they need to be washed out well and especially with the thinner nylon tubing (5mm) they need to be dried out. Not sure why they use that tube as it has no advantages just disadvantages, especially with S/S cables. If not dried out the water will rust within the tube and lock up with expensive repairs, I have repaired many like that.
One thing to remember you NEVER know when your last paddle of the season will be so try doing it every time you finish. I had a few skis come after the snap lockdowns we had where they locked the clubs down and were not able to get back in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas

More
2 years 1 month ago #39453 by waverider
If you have a split paddle check that it comes apart ok, salt and sand can cause it to seize up, and that it also tightens properly so it doesnt slip in use. I did a race on the weekend and the feather kept slipping on my jantex paddle because the pivot screw was loose...happened a couple of times now....Might have to loctight it, unless anyone has any better suggestions

More
2 years 1 month ago #39468 by Arcturus
Ranga, thanks for the warning about hidden rusting. Don’t know how to avoid that without taking a blowdryer to the cables after every use, though. I have so-called dry lube for bike cables, which I’m not wild about using for a ski, because it probably contaminates water. Hey, we’re being admonished about the effects of sunblock on coral reefs...

Waverider, I do rinse and dry my split paddle. There can be a surprising amount of silt and minerals in even fresh water. Someone once borrowed my sea kayak paddle without taking it apart or rinsing afterward. It got stuck so badly that it took a bench vise’s assistance to take it apart.

Latest Forum Topics