safety

More
15 years 7 months ago #2391 by nell
safety was created by nell
I rarely ever fall out of my ski, so I haven't practiced reentries that often, and when I do, it's usually on flatwater or on smaller waves. But, about a week ago, I fell out of my ski and had 3 unsuccessful re-entry attempts before deciding to swim the boat to shore. Wind Waves were 1-1.5 m (3-4'), water was warm and the swim was only about 20 min to cover about 300 m. I likely could have gotten back into the ski if I had tried from the upwind side and from my stronger side, but I simply made the attempts from where I was. This experience it made me think, though.

High gunwales (seat rim) makes reentry more difficult. Sure it keeps the ride drier, but the tradeoff isn't worth it to me. Give me a ski that's easier to remount over a drier ride any day.

Also, It's really difficult to swim with the ski and paddle. I swam up to the bow and held it by wrapping one arm around it. I pinched the paddle between that arm and the ski. And then I swam sidestroke with one pulling arm and a scissor type kick. My knee leash was stretched to its limit, but stayed on well. It would have been so much easier and faster if my leash attached to the bow or the stern because I then wouldn't have had to hold the bow of the ski (had I let it go, I would have been pulling it broadside to the direction I was swimming as the leash was attached near the footplate. I could have put the paddle under the bungees, but the bungee was taken off the day before. Back on now.

Rob says that the new Red7 pro is easier to remount. That's great. I hope other manufacturers follow suit in future designs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics