pfd

More
15 years 6 months ago #2477 by Tecpartner
pfd was created by Tecpartner
Which PFDs would you recommend? I often paddle alone, and like to wear a PFD when I do, but I'd like to find one that doesn't interfere with rotation. (I'm in the US)

Thanks,

I'd rather be paddling....

Think EVO II
Epic V10S
Nelo 520
Epic V8

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2479 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re:pfd
I've used the Mocke PFD for quite a while now - find it cool, comfortable.

It also has a useful large pocket in the front for flares/radio, etc!

Available in the US from Ocean Paddle Sports:

www.oceanpaddlesports.com

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
15 years 6 months ago #2487 by RHamady
Replied by RHamady on topic Re:pfd
Same here, the Mocke pfd works great.............

-Rich

More
15 years 6 months ago #2489 by Gavin Gottschalk
Replied by Gavin Gottschalk on topic Re:pfd
Ditto. Mocke PFD is a winner. Light, bright, comfy and unrestricting.

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
15 years 6 months ago #2490 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re:pfd
I have acces to 2 pfd and like them both for different reasons:

1) Stohlquist wedge E - made in the USA and easy to get your hands on. ~ $100 at most places. REI is your best bet. Bare bones. Lets you move your shoulders easily and when you do swim, the neck does not chock you as some pfds do. Has only one small pocket that doesn't really hold much more than keys. I use this as my summer pfd, as attaching a stobe or a hydration system is not as easy as it should be. I don't use it in winter.

2) Serratus Aphrodite - This is my winter pfd. 4 pockets provide enough storage for anything I want. Hydration and stobe attach easily to the back. This is a warmer jacket, but still allows for full rotation. Buying the woman's version meant that there was more room for my chest and shoulders to move freely. I used as a race jacket for 2 years, but switched up to the Stohlquist for summer stuff 2 years ago. Don't remember the price, sorry.

If I was to do it again, i'd just get a Kokatat Orbit Tour. 2 pockets and plenty of movement. Ability to attach hydration/safety easily and very reflective. They run about $150 here in Vancouver. I think LL Bean sells them in the US for about $140.

If you have acces to REI, check out the Astral Bouyancy Hybrid. www.rei.com/product/722022 It looks interesting, but interesting is not always good...

Good luck with your search.

Sean

More
15 years 6 months ago #2503 by yhomas
Replied by yhomas on topic Re:pfd
I just got the Mocke jacket--used it at the US Surfski champs. I really like it. My only comment is to be careful about the size. I normally wear shirts that are size large (USA) and sometimes even medium, but for the Mocke jacket, I used the XXL (the largest available size)--the middle size was just a hair too tight on me such that I felt that it restricted my breathing just a little bit.

Once I was paddling, I simply forgot that I was wearing a life jacket at all--very nice.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2506 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:pfd
This probably voids my warranty, but . . . I felt just a bit too squeezed by my size L Mocke jacket and the XXL was too big. So, I bought the L and cut the elastic that is within the mesh on the sides - halfway between the bottom and the arm holes. This allows me to breathe without restriction from the elastic. Much better now.

Latest Forum Topics