Lack of Stability

More
15 years 7 months ago #2482 by houls
Lack of Stability was created by houls
I know this is something which has probably previoulsy been flogged to death, but perhaps there is someone out there who can give me the missing link. After a 30 year break (Paddling spec skis in competition)for the last two years I have been paddling ocean racing skis, first Fenn XT, then Mako 6 and now an Epic Ultra, I find that I'm expending much of my paddling energy on stability. I know the obvious answer is more time on the water (Currently doing two paddles a week, total about 22-25klms)I've been told to dig my heels in and to keep my paddle lower to increase stability. Anything I might be able to try apart from these suggestions to improve my stability? I will be increasing my time on the water soon..I hope.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
15 years 7 months ago #2484 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:Lack of Stability
Best thing I can suggest is to stick with a more stable ski. Since you are with Epic, a V10S comes to mind. Also, maybe try a heavier ski, the lightweights are known to be more skittish. I'm sure you will be faster if you are spending less time trying to stay in. Also, you should never compromise a good stroke for stability. Keep that paddle high!!

More
15 years 7 months ago #2485 by houls
Replied by houls on topic Re:Lack of Stability
Thanks for that Xpat, I suspected that the weight of the ski was contributing to the instability, however now I have the ultra I couldn't go back, I will get there I imagine. Its a challenge and that's why I upgraded to the ultra in the first place. Thanks again for the suggestions

More
15 years 7 months ago #2492 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:Lack of Stability
Since you've paddled quite a bit a long time ago, your stability neurons might just need to be re-awakened. Try sitting on a 1 cm seat pad for a portion of your sessions and really concentrate on balance and technique during that time. The added "instability" might help reawaken your neurons or jumpstart the development of new ones.

You might also tape some foam pads on the inside rim of your seat rim so that you can both feel the roll of the ski and dampen that roll. Works well for light and twitchy skis from my experience.

Make sure that your feet are in contact with the footplate at all times as a footplate that's too far away will make the ski feel tippier. Try a more snug footstrap, too.

More
15 years 7 months ago #2493 by houls
Replied by houls on topic Re:Lack of Stability
Thanks Nell, I'll give that a try.

More
15 years 7 months ago #2494 by richardh
Replied by richardh on topic Re:Lack of Stability
Are there any off-water exercises that can increase ski balance?

More
15 years 7 months ago #2495 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re:Lack of Stability
Air Paddle sitting on a fitball (swiss ball) with feet on another fitball or a basketball

More
15 years 7 months ago #2496 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Re:Lack of Stability
Loss of range of movement in hips will cause balance problems.
Stretching helps a lot-specifically adductors, including magnus and longus. See muscle maps on www.exrx.net
The next thing is core strengthening- maybe with a fit ball.

More
15 years 7 months ago #2497 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:Lack of Stability
Huki with gullwings :P

Latest Forum Topics