Newbie looking to get started

More
15 years 4 months ago #2746 by gwatson
Hi there. I'm a complete newbie. I've been cycling for a number of years now but my bad knees are starting to suggest I change sports. I've been keen to start surf ski'ing and am looking for advice on how to get started. I'd be looking for a surf ski, paddle etc and would appreciate your input. Also I've seen a few skis and would like your thoughts. I've seen the Fenn XT, honcho and they seem very good.

Well any thoughts suggestions would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #2747 by superted
My thoughts from when i started out would be to look up local dealers (webpage links). Try and demo a Epic V10 Sport and a Think EVO (as well as the ones you mentioned). Pick the one that feels best to you, looks well constructed and suits yr budget.

An adjustable paddle can be handy. the Epic paddle wizard can be usefull to figure out a fixed length for you.

Make it a habit to wear a leg leash!!

Yr in Capetown so there is a lot of very experienced guys that can get you started.
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by superted.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #2748 by [email protected]
Hi Glen
As Ted says, you're in the right place... there are paddlers all over Cape Town ready to lend a hand.

Depending on where you are (northern or southern suburbs) I'd recommend visiting Brian's Kayaks (Paarden Eiland) or the Paddling Centre (Fish Hoek).

You'll find demo skis and friendly faces in both places.

I'd strongly recommend having a few sessions with Dawid Mocke's SurfskiSchool as well - they provide all the gear and will a) get you started correctly and b) give you a chance to see if you're going to like the sport. (Of course you will!)

www.kayaks.co.za
www.thepaddlingcentre.com
www.surfskischool.com/

Happy paddling - hope to see you on the water!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by [email protected].

More
15 years 4 months ago #2750 by PLoni Paddler
You should contact your local Epic representative, they can arrange a Demo for you. I started on a Epic v10sport its a very stable boat and will allow you to perfect your stroke and balance. It comes in four constuction materials, the fiberglass being the wieghing just 15kgs. it is the lightest in its class, i think...

footplate is adjustable without TOOLs so if want to give a friend a go your not leaving the water.

The v10sport is great entry level boat which will get better with you, it not slow boat by any means so you wont be left behind.

Dont get a plastic you will regret it...

hope this helps ! merry xmas

More
15 years 4 months ago #2757 by garykroukamp
Brian's Kayaks have the Honcho Guru in stock. I tried one the other day and found it very stable and hence good for a beginner. It reminded me of the Wedge spec ski I learned on in terms of feel.

Latest Forum Topics