Hip pads again

More
15 years 1 month ago #2971 by LaPerouser
Hip pads again was created by LaPerouser
Hi all,

Another V10 Sport user here, and just in case some of the earlier posts on this topic have run out of puff..

here's another question..

Where exactly is the best place to put them?

My local reseller (and Epic's Greg Barton - from my viewing of the photo he posted) suggest right at the broadest point of the hips = at the broadest part of the seatwell.

My instinct is to place them further forward against the upper thigh for the following reasons:

a)entry and egress easier, esp if a rough water remount is required, and also less likely to knock them off

b) it seems to easier to exert lateral pressure and brace on them if required using the upper thigh

Any commments appreciated!

LaPerouser

Supplementary question: if they need to be moved or re-attached, what's the best method/best adhesive?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #2973 by Shaun
Replied by Shaun on topic Re:Hip pads again
I have a different boat that required a bunch of foam for me to fit into it, and what I did was just use tape to put the foam in place. Then I sat in the boat for a little while to see how I liked it. This way, I could move everything around a lot until I got everything perfect. Once I got all the foam just where I wanted it, I used a 3M spray glue for a permanent fix than the tape. That was a few months ago and it is still in fairly well. If I ever need to take it out, I can tear it all off, and clean the glue out with Acetone or something similar.

I told you this instead of where I put my foam thinking that everyone will be different. If you put your foam where other people put theirs, you could be putting it where it will cause your leg to fall asleep or something. If you find the right place for you, you will be better off.

For what it is worth, my hip pads did end up more where you are thinking of putting them, further forward against the upper thigh. Not much, though, just a few inches from the widest part of my hips.
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by Shaun.

More
15 years 1 month ago #2976 by Zack
Replied by Zack on topic Re:Hip pads again
Actually tried the hip pads that came with my Epic V10 Sport...and after flipping the boat a half mile offshore, discovered that it made it almost impossible to remount in deep water. Promptly ripped them out on the spot-

• Chaz
  • Visitor
15 years 1 month ago #2980 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Re:Hip pads again
I use the epic pads for alittle and decided to make my own. I cut foam to fit ME and my hips down to my thighs. Then when I got them perfect I used sylicone adhesive to preminantly put them in. I do tri's and when I'd jump in the boat the other would bunch up and just never liked how they felt. Now if I do dump it in deep water I don't have to worry about getting caught on them or ripping them off getting back it. And if I do want to take them off I can still. It'll be hard but I can do it. Chaz

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3014 by LaPerouser
Replied by LaPerouser on topic Re:Hip pads again
Thanks to those who replied.

Well I put the pads in - in slightly different positions on each side.

If I put them right on the hips I think a normal seatwell entry would be difficult, let alone a rought water remount (refer Zack's comment).

I put one near the upper thigh, and one at mid thigh. Adding them has definitely made a big difference to stability - much easier to control the boat in the rough, and I don't slide around any more (at 70kg I've got a fair bit of room to move in the seatwell).

With the benefit of about 6-7 outings since first posting I think the mid thigh position works best. It's easier to brace against for stability versus the upper thigh pad, and the upper thigh pad still impedes boat entry, although not badly. It's still at risk of coming loose/ falling off over time I suspect.

So i'm going to rip one off and re-adhere it.

Silicone adhesive sounds fine, but I found a flexible marine adhesive called Sikaflex 292 - anyone ever used it?

Thanks
LaPerouser
The following user(s) said Thank You: sv607

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
15 years 2 weeks ago #3015 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:Hip pads again
Sika's good or try 3M 5200.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #3016 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Re:Hip pads again
sikaflex 292 is great stuff as a structural adhesive, but it is polyurethane based. That means application is not reversable except mechanically. Regular grade contact cement fixes closed cell foam padding for a very long time, is reversable with heat (hair drier) and cleans up quickly with laquer thinner or acetone. It is also inexpensive.

More
13 years 4 months ago #5817 by [email protected]
I've got an Epic V10 Sport and want to add hip pads. I've used an EVA & PE Closed Cell Foam Adhesive to stick two pieces of foam together to make my hip pads. Can I use the same adhesive to stick the hip pads to my ski?

More
13 years 4 months ago #5819 by LaPerouser
Replied by LaPerouser on topic Re:Hip pads again
James,

After a lot experimenting getting the pads in the right position, I still thought they created problems 1) when entering or re-entering the ski - I was always getting caught on them 2) any glue that is strong enough to hold them in place will be incredibly difficult to remove

Solution: stick then down sides of your pants. Might look faintly ridiculous, but by far the simplest solution: easy to reposition, easy to resize, easy to remount, no damage to the the ski.

More
13 years 4 months ago #5820 by [email protected]
Thanks LaPerouser. The guys I paddle with also suggested I eat a lot of donuts instead! I think I'll try your suggestion. James

More
13 years 4 months ago #5824 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:Hip pads again
I think the put them down your pants thing is great.
When you walk up to the Dias to collect your trophy, you can just shuffle them around the front to impress the ladies and scare the opposition.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 3 months ago #5883 by Andy11
Replied by Andy11 on topic Re:Hip pads again
Check this out. I use neopreme not foam.
www.foamorder.com/neoprene.html

More
13 years 3 months ago #5884 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:Hip pads again
Neoprene ? I would have thought that would be too "sticky". Can you slide around enough to get good pelvis rotation/hip/leg drive ? Minicell ain't exactley slick but does afford some "slip"

More
13 years 3 months ago #5887 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:Hip pads again
I wonder if there is a market for some good paddling shorts that have a pocket built in for pads?

Even if you do not use them, the twin layers of lycra would be good for paddlers that are a tight fit by allowing the hip to slide lycra against lycra.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Latest Forum Topics