Removing old stickers

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #2998 by Boof Head
Does anybody have some tricks up there sleeve regarding the removal of old stickers from deck? I purchased a used ocean ski that has several race stickers that just won't budge. They seem to be cooked on and my finger nail just won't do it.
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #3000 by YBA/Jim Murray
Try heating a bit with hair drier. It should soften the contact cement.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #3001 by [email protected]
Yep, hair dryer mostly does the trick then I've found that paint thinners works wonders on any sticky residue.

Thinners doesn't seem to harm the gelcoat but I'm always careful to wipe it off quickly.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
15 years 3 weeks ago #3003 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:Removing old stickers
Best stuff for getting off glue that I have used is 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (08984). I guess its the right tool for the job and is not aggressive at all. Other good products are stuff like WD40 (Q20) and plain old turpentine. The nice thing about the less volatile products is that they stay around longer than thinners and acetone and are easier to work with.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #3004 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re:Removing old stickers
g'day all,

eucalyptus oil removes anything....... and gives
your ski a lovely smell. Cheap as chips.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #3005 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re:Removing old stickers
Thanks All for the tips. I've used eucalypt oil before on my skis (snow variety) and seem to remember the stuff works great. i'll give that ashot first.
Cheers

Latest Forum Topics