joining deck and hull

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4098 by postal256
I am building a surfski for myself and am curious as to how Fenn and the other manufacturers join the deck to the hull (without being able to gain access inside)..

anyone know? thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flick
  • Visitor
14 years 3 weeks ago #4107 by flick
Replied by flick on topic Re:joining deck and hull
Most manufactures have a flange laminated into the hull (part of the hull). The deck is then glued onto this. But some companies have had flanges on the deck and the deck gets bent and glued into the hull. Some use a butt join (gluing the deck and the hull edges together) and use an outside seam to give it strength. It all depends on the manufacturer.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4108 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re:joining deck and hull
Are you making it out of timber or GRP? if timber, I would use a sheer clamp. Actually, I dont see why you couldn't use a sheer clamp for a GRP boat.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4109 by postal256
Replied by postal256 on topic Re:joining deck and hull
it is strip cedar construction with 4oz glass. I was thinking about adding a lip to the inside hull, cello taping the inside of the deck and placing it on when the seam tape was still flexible and letting it cure. Then I can take the deck off and put some thickened epoxy along the seam and strap the deck on.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4112 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:joining deck and hull
just thinking... you could build it like a regular (sit inside) kayak, building the deck with a hole wher the cockpit (seat & footwell) should be, glass the deck and the hull together, inside and outside along the seam line, and then add the cockpit.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4113 by YBA/Jim Murray
Hiro is right. With strip construction you are building a sort of torsion box. To maintain it's integrity you need to continue the same construction at the hull/deck join line.
Four ounce cloth is kind of light strengthwise but it works. You might consider extra stiffening though, to minimize oilcanning.
Jim

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4114 by pjjacob
Replied by pjjacob on topic Re:joining deck and hull
Go here: www.kayakforum.com/

You'll learn more about strip building than you ever wanted to know.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4115 by Boof Head
I have my own strip built ski designed and ready to go and have thought long and hard about joining the deck and hull. My solution is to use a sheer clamp at least in the bow section. Very difficult to roll tape into such a tight area. Skis have such a fine entry angle.
I'm guessing your deck will be in 3 sections; Bow deck, cockpit, and stern deck with the cockpit slotting in between to bulkheads/partial bulkheads. This should stiffen it up considerably.
Which software package did you use to design your boat? Mine is done using kayakfoundary. Let me knoiw if you want the file.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4117 by postal256
Thanks pjjacob, I frequent the kayakforum, but only post now and again. It is an excellent resource.

@boofhead, I used Rhino for everything. I have a cnc router, so I will mill out the cockpit area and vacuum mold it, so the deck will be part stripped, part molded. The deck is going to be all white, but I am leaving the hull clear wood. Right now the rear/front decks are connected, but depending on how I fit the cockpit, I may completely separate them or just leave them connected along the seam area.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4119 by Boof Head
Look forward to seeing some pics one day. Any particular reason for painting the deck?
cheers

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #4121 by postal256
2 reasons.. since I plan on molding the cockpit, I didn't want to have to make a perfect seam where it meets the wooden deck areas. Also, I wanted to finish the deck faster, not worrying about how the strips look aesthetically, etc.

Latest Forum Topics