West OZ downwind...Garden Island to Freo???

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
13 years 9 months ago #4831 by AR_convert
Any West Ozzies tried to do a down wind run from the tip of Garden Island across to Freo or therabouts?

After watching the Millers run video's I'm inspired to do some longer downwind runs.

Garden Island protects you as you paddle from Rockingham/Palm beach out and then at the Northern point of the island you could turn and head for land with the Doctor behind you....any thoughts?

Always looking for the next boat :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4834 by Dicko
Too hard to get to the start.
Down south we paddle a loop of eagle bay in a S or SE wind. The seabreeze in Geographe Bay is a NW which makes a good paddle from Bunkers towards Busselton in relatively safe waters. The best bit is your missus can drop you off then get a coffee and pick you up later. In Busselton you can paddle to the end of the jetty and head back to shore in a breeze. Because of the shape of the Bay it's always downwind somewhere.
For the more adventurous you can try injidup to smiths ( but you need a fair degree of skill and a decent set of the proverbials to paddle there)
My pick down here would be the eagle bay loop. You get a 4 km downwind, then paddle back in the lee of the bay, have a chat, tell each other how good you are, turn around and do it again. The best bit is you don't need someone to drop you off.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
13 years 9 months ago #4835 by AR_convert
Yes, I seem to remember a couple of years ago a few paddlers coming unstuck and one poor sods ski being blown out to sea when they went for a familiarisation paddle for an adventure race in that part of the world. Seemingly it doesnt look too bad from the protected waters of Dunsborough and the bays nearby. :dry:

The ski was found by the Navy a couple of hundred Km's north :huh:

Although I am an adventurous type I will leave the southwest alone unless with a big group and safety craft. ;)

I will set about doing this freo paddle when conditions are perfect and meet the family at Cicerello's in freo for fish and chips. Yes it's a bit of a paddle to get to the start point (about 13km) but I can stop on one of the beautiful beaches, have lunch, relax and then set off for Freo with flare and mobile phone onboard.... :)

Probably wait until Nov/Dec when at full fitness after Anaconda Race.

Watch this space :huh:

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 8 months ago #4932 by adman1
Have you considered woodmans point to south beach?
If you get dropped off at the western end of the point and paddle out west another 600-700mtrs ( which is somewhat protected by a sandbar )you then turn right at the end of the sandbar and from that point to south beach is downwind all the way.
I find South beach better than freo for a couple of reasons. Firstly it is more of a true downwind paddle and secondly you are not getting involved in any boat traffic going into Fremantle sailing club or fishermans harbour.
South beach cafe is a funky little place to sit have afternoon tea and chat about how your fitness is improving with age!

More
13 years 8 months ago #4937 by thebigadski
Last summer a few local lads set off and did Palm Beach (rocko) to Woodmans Point when the wind got above 25knts (S OR SSW)

The runners where pretty good apparently.

The shipping channels in that area is the only big concern.

I think a better run down this way is from "The Cut" to Secret Harbour - about 24kms

Hopefully we may see a race on this course soon, whether it's one of the ocean series or part of the ORC events.

I'm hanging out for the sea breeze to come back!!
Attachments:

More
13 years 8 months ago #4939 by Perth ski chick
When the SSW winds are blowing we frequently do Freo (Port Beach or Sand Tracks, couple 100m south) to Sorrento, 24km. It's generally easy to get out at Port Beach and Sorrento provides a gentle landing spot even for those of us renowned for stuffing up beach landings.

You can also do Cott to Sorrento (19km) and sneak out next to the groyne to avoid being smashed by waves when the wind/swell is up. 19km.

The bonus to starting at Port Beach is that there is a microbrewery there so at the end of the car shuffle you can have BEER. :)

Latest Forum Topics