Multisport Kayak Vs Ski Vs Racing Sea Kayaks

More
13 years 7 months ago #5048 by Zarb
I am just curious as to come people's opinions on different craft for the purpose of longer distance paddling (in Adventure Racing).

I have owned a few skis, a multisport kayak, and I have dabbled a little bit in sea kayaks.

I see how seakayaks and skiis are good for their own purposes, but I didn't really see much point to the multisport kayak I owned. It was no more comfortable than the ski, was a little slower, but didn't have the freedom of movement and remount that the ski had. What are these designed for then? It's not for storage because there would have to be less storage options on them than on a ski.

Which brings me to another question I have been meaning to ask.
Assuming there will not be much gear to carry (wearing a backpack), what is more suited to longer paddles? Ski? Or perhaps a racing designed sea kayak (like the Valley Rapier)? Distances could be anywhere from 4 hours, up to 8 hours depending on the race.

I have been told the Valleys are just as fast as most skis, has plenty of storage area if you want to turn it into a fast ocean tourer, and is really comfortable. But I am doubtful of these reviews.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5054 by red_pepper
What multisport kayak did you own?

More
13 years 7 months ago #5057 by Zarb
Sisson Evo Edge

Latest Forum Topics