ThinkLegendKevlar 12kg27lbs vs EpicV10 14.5kg32lbs

More
13 years 2 months ago #6212 by Zaatar
I am an intermediate level paddler and I have an option to purchase a used Think Legend in Kevlar (12kg/27lbs) or a new Epic V10 glass/carbon/kevlar (14.5kg/32lbs), or possibly a fiberglass Huki S1-X special (30lbs) all at a similiar price.

Would there be a clear best choice for racing in all-around conditions? Is there a huge speed difference between the Think Legend and even an Epic V10 Ultra (11kg/25lbs)?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6215 by Rightarmbad
Forget the weights and take them for a paddle.

Fenn Elites weigh considerably more than Epic's, but their win record speaks for itself.

I'd say that being happy on the boat in the conditions you paddle in is far more important.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 2 months ago #6222 by Zaatar
Thanks, RightArm

Will check out the Fenn as well...

More
13 years 2 months ago #6224 by red_pepper
I also am an intermediate paddler, and I have a V10 Ultra and formerly owned a Kevlar Think Legend (had both at the same time). On flatwater I found I am slightly faster in the V10, but the boats are close enough that you'll probably do better in whichever boat you're most comfortable paddling. I would take each boat out for an hour or two if you can to see how the seat fits and how you like the feel of the hull - they do feel very different from each other and handle differently in various conditions.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6225 by Zaatar
Thanks, Red Pepper.

I test paddled an Epic V10L Ultra today (since that is what the local dealer had in stock) but found it to be just a little too small in the seat width. Do you know if the Legend has a slightly wider bucket than the V10? I only need a quarter to a half inch more at the most. I am 6'-2.5", 195lbs, 34" waist, and 35.5" inseam if that helps.

Thanks for your reply!

More
13 years 2 months ago #6226 by Zaatar
One more quick note - It is not as easy for me to test the Think since the seller lives a long way away and so that is why I am asking you about the width. Thanks!

More
13 years 2 months ago #6227 by mongrel
I am also a intermediate level paddler.
i believe the best thing you can do is not rush into any buy.
there are plenty of skis around try as many as you can. and take your time .i believe comfort in the seat is the most important. try the stellars or EOS or ozflight anything you can get your hands on, the dealers will alway be helpful.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6228 by quickwaves
The V10L has a slightly narrower cockpit that the V10, since the cockpit is about 2" farther forward, in a narrower beam profile. Try the V10 and see how it fits.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6229 by red_pepper
I should have said that my boat is actually the V10L Ultra - like what you paddled. I am 6'1", 200 lbs, with a 34" waist and 31" inseam. The seats felt like they were fairly similar in width (at this point I can't say for certain if there was a 1/4" difference or not), but the Think definitely has a little more width in the foot well (I personally found the seat in the Epic to be more comfortable to me, but the foot well is a little cramped - my feet just barely fit with light water shoes).

Latest Forum Topics