Eskimo Rolling a Surf Ski?

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #6994 by Kocho
Watched this short video and was just wondering if someone has installed a lap strap like wave skis have (with a quick release buckle). I can see where this can be handy in pesky breaking waves or surf where the chance of going over is good or just for plain fun.

I suppose a remount is fast but a roll is even faster, plus you stay with the ski...
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Kocho.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #6997 by AR_convert
While it's only just considered a ski ;) The finn affinity has two thigh straps for stability, I could roll that quite easily. I dont know if I'd like to put that much stress on a composite ski, the mounts for the strap would be prone to extreme forces I would think. :dry:

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #7001 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re:Eskimo Rolling a Surf Ski?
Good point about the strength of the ski... While near the seat I would hope there are some reinforcements, a strong tug on a strap may cause a nasty hole to open-up. A good roll does not require much effort and should not stress the ski too much. But I am thinking more about my body acting as an anchor dragging underwater while some wave tries to pull the surfski away.

More
12 years 10 months ago #7002 by EK Sydney
G'day Guys,
Rob & I made that video for a bit of a gag, it wasn't really meant as some sort of extra safety technique. I'm sure the freedom of paddling a ski in the dynamic way you do you would be pretty well compromised by any strap system which would give you enough purchase to roll it.
Mark.

More
12 years 10 months ago #7003 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:Eskimo Rolling a Surf Ski?
Kocho , you wanna roll ? buy a kayak.....have a friend that spent way to much time tinkering with a vampire and a bunch of minicell foam so he could comfortably roll it , even with a very solid roll and a high level of BCU certification and training it remained a mute point in conditions , with a ski , you would likely be way faster and consisitant with a remount in big conditions not to mention what a bummer it would be to rip the mounts out for your "seatbelt" to find yourself swimming with a soon to be flooded ski.

More
12 years 10 months ago #7004 by zachhandler
I know a guy who installed a "seatbelt"in a fenn millenium. It was made of seatbelt like material. he cut two slots in the rear rim of the bucket and it was thread though the inside of the ski. He wasn't trying to be cheeky. He was just tired of remounts and decided he'd rather roll.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
12 years 10 months ago #7005 by Rightarmbad
If he likes rolling his V8, why not just buy an 18x instead?

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #7006 by Robmobius
Here in dbn there is a guy who is old enough to be a master but is still toward the front of the field. As a youngster he was one of the best He has retro fitted straps that run from his hip to level with his feet on either side of the boat. He slips a knee under each and eskimo rolls all the time. In big surf even the the world beaters we have living in dbn, find it tough to beat him to back line. He says one of the best uses of the knee straps is when punching thru the lip of a big wave. He stays seated in his ski during the inevitable airtime as u crash down on the other side of the wave. For me it's often my ass slamming back into the seat that rolls me out rather than the wave itself. Seeing him in action it's hard to see how a STD remount could be faster. Can't comment on how's he has attached the straps to the boat.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Robmobius.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #7007 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re:Eskimo Rolling a Surf Ski?
That's more the use I had in mind. Although, not big surf since I do not do that stuff, but for bracing and control and connectedness with the ski in pushy steep waves.

I like the idea of routing the strap through slots under the seat. That would be easy to do and very strong. Not sure about the thigh straps running front to back - these are used in many sit on tops for rough use and white water but I think they will be in the way when not in use...

And I'm not really thinking that seriously about it B) More like toying with the idea and checking to see what others might have done...

More
12 years 10 months ago #7008 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:Eskimo Rolling a Surf Ski?
Kocho for your thoughts-cutting slots in light composite contruction (which is also hypothetically water tight) is a BAD idea , how would you seal the slots to prevent watre intrusion??????

• Scott S
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #7010 by Scott S
Replied by Scott S on topic Re:Eskimo Rolling a Surf Ski?
Forget the eskimo roles the retro trend to take away from this is start using a Greenland Paddle. :P

More
12 years 10 months ago #7016 by postal256
I have laid eyes on a photo of a ski with a molded "tree" between your legs. Imagine a vertical ball buster attached to the cockpit that separates your knees/legs. I do believe I saw it on Childsplay's website a long time ago. No idea of the maker, but I assumed it was rolling. Side saddle remount would be impossible.

More
12 years 10 months ago #7019 by richardh
Finn Kayaks sell their skis with leg straps looping over the knees.

The Gizmo is a wave ski, but displays the straps better. In their surf skis, the strap anchors at the side of the footwell

Latest Forum Topics