Traction strips on skis?

More
12 years 2 months ago #9685 by JJ2
Traction strips on skis? was created by JJ2
I have seen pictures of what appears to be traction strips on the sides of the cockpit of skis. I'm sure this has been discussed before somewhere here. Would someone please stear me towards those discussions? I really need to get some traction to help in remounting. I would like to know what works best? Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9687 by Rightarmbad
I can't imagine why you would need/want what you describe?
Grab ski, slide on/in, paddle.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 2 months ago #9689 by owenw
Replied by owenw on topic Re: Traction strips on skis?
Just think SHARK! You'll find the re-mount is very quick and easy :evil:

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

• Jonojnr
  • Visitor
12 years 2 months ago #9690 by Jonojnr
Replied by Jonojnr on topic Re: Traction strips on skis?
Are you sure they are traction strips and not tape to protect from paddle damage in the area of the catch?

• patrickswitz
  • Visitor
12 years 2 months ago #9691 by patrickswitz
Replied by patrickswitz on topic Re: Traction strips on skis?
I think what you're referring to are the tape strips many of us use to protect the cockpit edges from errant paddle strikes. Black stuff up near the foot pedals, yes?

There's all kinds of "how-to-remount" articles and videos floating around. Not to be a dick but if you're wishing for traction strips you really should seek some guidance from someone who knows what they're doing. If you don't have a paddling community nearby I think the epic website has a video of Oscar remounting in a pool.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9696 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: Traction strips on skis?
A friend bought a ski with some traction tape on the sides of the cockpit. Bad idea - several of us found it next to impossible to remount his ski as our life vests would get stuk on the high-friction tape. Removed it half-way though our paddle and remounts were much easier.

If you do put protective tape, make sure it is sleek and not something rough and high-friction or that is not very low profile.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9787 by JJ2
Replied by JJ2 on topic Re: Traction strips on skis?
Thank you all for responding! After looking at some of the pics I had referred to in my initial post, I guess they are the protective strips that many of you have referred to. So if I may, do any of you have a favorite type of tape or strip that you use for the protection?
Thanks!

• patrickswitz
  • Visitor
12 years 2 months ago #9788 by patrickswitz
Replied by patrickswitz on topic Re: Traction strips on skis?
Of the guys out here in Hawaii that put anything on, most use a product called "pipe wrap" that's basically a rubbery tape a couple mil thick. More useful for beginners or guys with crappy form. Plenty of paddlers go bare (cockpit) with no ill effect.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9790 by owenw
I use a clear, thick, self adhesive, plastic tape locally known as Helicopter Tape; (originally developed to protect the leading edge of helicopter blades from chips and damage). Eventually, it "yellows" with age but is easy to remove/replace.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9811 by semdoug
There is also a thick clear tape product used on SUPs called rail tape. I found it at a SUP dealer.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9837 by Marieski
A far cheaper alternative than rail tape, to achieve the same purpose can be bought from car accessory stores. It has a variety of names but is applied to prevent stone chips.

On the subject of traction tape on the ski cockpit sides, I have often considered applying this to aid in carrying the ski in wind. Persons with short arms and small hands have difficulty in holding on to the slippery cockpit rim, especially after a hard paddle.Potential difficulty in remounting has dissuaded me.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
12 years 2 months ago #9841 by LaPerouser
Hi Marieski and others,

I use a grip tape/traction tape :-I think its called deck tape and is designed to help your footing on boat decks or slippery steps - its black and has the texture of sandpaper, available from chandlers.

I use it to help pick up the ski with cold and or wet hands, and also helps grip the boat in the wind, and getting it on and off the roof racks and storage racks. I've placed it where it doesn't impede remounting or anything else, and makes handling the ski much easier.

One strip (2"x1") is on the inside of the footwell, just below the rail/gunwale, a little to the rear of the foot plate, and the other (same size) is just inside the bucket at its widest point. The spacing is just the most comfortable for picking up the ski, and gives extra grip right at the fingertips.

This tape is very grippy: when I put the ski away in the garage I need to squeeze down a narrow space between the car and the racking. I can carry the ski at thigh height with just my fingertips on the inside of the gunwale, and then 'knee' it on to the rack without risk of it slipping out of my hands.

I also have a thin strip on the shaft of my paddle to prevent 'death grip', but that's another story...

Hope this helps.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9842 by Rightarmbad
I put that black non slip tape on my footboard and rudder pedals.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 2 months ago #9845 by owenw
My new Stellar came with that black, abrasive tape on the footboard and pedals. However, after my 1st decent long paddle, I'd just about worn the upper layer of skin from the bottom of my feet, (I always paddle barefoot). They were sore for days! Needless to say, that horrible tape was quickly removed and my tender little feet are now caressed by the nice, bare, carbon fibre.
Incidentally, on my DD3 and my seakayaks I have the pedals/footpegs covered in 2mm closed cell h/d foam - bliss!

More
12 years 2 months ago #9976 by JJ2
Replied by JJ2 on topic Re: Traction strips on skis?
Thank you all for responding, you all have solved my problems!
Thanks again.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9977 by gstamer
I recently made a full-length footboard for my K1 and covered it with 3M non-slip-tape. That stuff is intended for stairs and I found it much too abrasive (blog post at www.gregstamer.com/2012/02/01/diy-footboard-upgrade).

I removed that and installed traction pad material from Hydro Turf (hydroturf.com/products/Accessories_-_PWC/Traction_Strips). Much better! The material looks similar to what Epic uses and is comfortable and "grippy" but not abrasive. The stuff is not cheap; if someone has a better supplier of similar material, please pass it on.

Greg Stamer

More
12 years 2 months ago #9978 by Rightarmbad
The black stuff I use on my footplates is more rubbery than abrasive.
The stuff Epic uses can be bought here in Australia at Clark rubber for nicks.

I find the Epic stuff a little too thick and it leaves me between adjustment holes for length.
I also know others that were between holes that fitted it to find the right length.

The tape I use as a paddle bash strip is also very smooth, but textured and very rubbery. It won't damage your paddle and has some thickness to to cushion the blow on the boat.

Cheap as chips in Whitworths boat supplies.

Latest Forum Topics