Cairns Anybody?

More
11 years 2 months ago #14942 by partymarty
Cairns Anybody? was created by partymarty
Hey guys.

I'm new to ski's, but not new to paddling.
I've just upgraded (or so the wife thinks - I'm gonna keep both) from a epic seakayak to a epic v10s.

If there's any members from around here I paddle every day or so either north or south from Holloways Beach and would always welcome someone to talk too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15000 by partymarty
Replied by partymarty on topic Re: Cairns Anybody?
well I know there's one guy - because I've seen him. But I guess he don't own a computer.

Lucky I'm used to solo paddling (you're always alone on the ocean anyway, when you really think about it)

More
11 years 2 months ago #15011 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Cairns Anybody?
Maybe try asking on some of the adventure racing forums/sites. Many of my AR buddies paddle but don't frequent this site.

www.rapidascent.com.au/main/NewHomePage.aspx
www.sleepmonsters.com/

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
10 years 9 months ago #17295 by kayakersam
Replied by kayakersam on topic Re: Cairns Anybody?
Hay mate, iv just moved up here, keen to get out paddling, you still heading out?

Cheers sam

More
10 years 9 months ago #17296 by partymarty
@kayakersam - I get out every sunday morning and a couple of days during the week.

I'm getting bored of paddling from Holloways so I'm a bit more mobile these days. I've got 2 sets of carriers on the car so I'm sorted for downwinds too.

give me a call o421 762 382

More
10 years 9 months ago #17363 by Mikehadabike
Replied by Mikehadabike on topic Re: Cairns Anybody?
Doing a couple of downwinders yorkey to palm cove next weekif you are interested

More
10 years 5 months ago #18506 by mcelroys
Replied by mcelroys on topic Cairns Anybody?
Hey guys,

Just wondering how much paddling can be done up in cairns throughout the year in terms of heat/humidity and marine life. I am moving up from the gold coast in Jan and want to bring my spec ski up. I have been only been paddling since the beginning of the year but want to keep it going.

Cheers

More
10 years 5 months ago #18512 by partymarty
Replied by partymarty on topic Cairns Anybody?
hi mate

it does get hot and sticky, and you do have to take some precautions as to the marine life that wants to kill you, but apart from that Cairns is a great place to paddle, and we most definately paddle all year round.

we do things the opposite way round up here. we paddle in boardshorts all winter and bring out the long leg stuff in summer. I've been wearing a lycra stinger suit cut in half on the bottom of me and a long sleeve rashy on the top half. You need to protect your legs mainly while launching as the box jellies are found very close to shore. The long arms are for when you flick one up at yourself with your paddle. That happens to me about once or twice a year and isn't an issue through a rashy.

As for the croc situation, you do see them, and they are about, but as long as you give the creek and rivermouths a fairly wide berth you shouldn't have any problems. One thing you will need to get in the habit of is launching more parrallel to the shore rather than straight out. I always try to keep the boat between me and any potential crocs.

You'll definately sweat paddling here in summer, so obviously hydration is more important than down south. I'll use easily a litre an hour, and still regularly come back from a paddle a kilo or two lighter.

have you decided where to live yet? If you stay away from any suburb starting with an M you'll be fine.

More
10 years 5 months ago #18513 by partymarty

Mikehadabike wrote: Doing a couple of downwinders yorkey to palm cove next weekif you are interested

sorry mate - must have missed this. I'm always keen as long as work lets me. (and I'm self employed, so that should be much much more than it actually is!)

More
10 years 5 months ago #18514 by mcelroys
Cheers for the reply.

Yes the crocs and stingers have been concerning me. I figured appropriate clothing would sort out the stingers thing....flicking box jellies up sounds great :unsure:

I haven't decided where to live yet, I know a few people who have been up there they suggested avoiding suburbs with M and W. Not sure whether to live near the Hospital or up on the northern beaches. I want to try and paddle in the mornings before work if possible. Hard part is finding places big enough to keep surf skis

More
10 years 5 months ago #18515 by partymarty
one thing to remember about Cairns is our big tidal range. All of the esplanade (in front of the hospital) is mud flats at lower tides. The northern beaches (except the southern corner of kewarra) are all fine to launch from in all tides. If you lived on the cairns esplanade directly opposite the water you'd only have 2 x 2 hour windows to get wet - without a 200m walk in calf deep mud that is!

I'm at holloways, but will be shortly be moving to Trinity Beach.

More
10 years 5 months ago #18524 by mcelroys
Yea I have heard that Cairns is beautiful on a full tide haha.
Not sure where I will live but I will be driving wherever I have to to be able to paddle that's all I know.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19490 by mcelroys
Hey guys, another quick question. What do people paddle in in stinger season. Obviosuly stinger suits are one option. But what about long sleeve rashies or even skins/bsc stuff? Are they suitable, do they get too hot? Just asking because there are some good sales on skins at the moment including the ones which are meant to be a bit cooler.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19502 by Crossey
Replied by Crossey on topic Cairns Anybody?
I paddle in Gove - north east corner of the Northern Territory - which has similar conditions for both weather and wild life. I typically wear a rashie and paddling shorts. Having bare lower legs does increase the risk of stings but I focus on minimising the time I'm in the shallows before getting on the ski - have everything set up on shore, 2 or 3 steps into the water and go.

If I'm going to be in the water a lot (like practicing beach starts or helping a beginner paddler) I put a on a full stinger suit. I haven't used skins/bsc leggings but know people who do. They don't seem to be any hotter than a stinger suit.

More
10 years 2 months ago #19506 by partymarty
I'm currently using some lycra pants from adrenaline wetsuits, they're much better than a cut down stinger suit, which was my first soloution. Only drama is that they only come in black, but they have a high drawstring waist. I team these with a white long sleeve rashy and I'm virtually stinger-proof

More
10 years 2 months ago #19507 by mcelroys
Thanks guys, I have both black and white long pant skins but have been looking at tops trying to decide as skins now have some cool line clothing or something, only problem is they are still black.

I dont really want to risk getting stung so I will be wearing long pants but I am going to get a hold of the bsc ski shorts with the padding in them. There is a lot of paddling going to be done next year.

Cheers

More
10 years 2 months ago #19595 by partymarty
@mcelroys - give me a buzz when you get here - I'm a year in surf ski's so we should be similar level. my numbers O412 762 382. I've got 2 sets of carriers on the ute so can do 1 way paddles.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #19602 by mcelroys
Hey Marty, cheers. I'll be in touch soon. I arrived in cairns today my car won't be here until later in the week and won't have access to my ski until then. I'll be settling into work over the next week or so. After that I will start looking at padgling again. Just a rough idea of paddling ability what sort of distance do tou cover and how quick? I did the coolangatta gold last year it was a 14km paddle over 1hr 20min for me with a very light southerly. I just don't want to be slowing you down
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by mcelroys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: partymarty

More
10 years 2 months ago #19606 by partymarty
you made me laugh that hard I sprayed my beer over my monitor.

Don't worry - you won't slow me down. While I've been paddling seakayaks for years I've only been on ski's for a year. I still reckon I'm actually faster in my epic kayak than my ski. I am also 41 (although mentally nowhere near that). But I love everything about ski's.

I do 10-15km paddles a couple of times a week, and if I was racing with a slight tailwind I'd probably do 14km in about 1.20 as well. I've never actually been in a race as the only one up here is 40km and I just wasn't ready for that last year, although I am aiming to do it this year. (I did hear a rumour that the course was going to be changed to Cairns to Palm Cove rather than Palm Cove to Port Douglas, so that may knock about 10km off it).

More
10 years 2 months ago #19607 by mcelroys
Haha well I thought I better ask. I was talking to a guy I worked with for the first time a few years back about ski paddling, well before I got into it. Said I'd love to have a go at the coolangatta gold one day.....little did I know he was the world ocean ski champion and came second in the gold a while back. Talk about embarrassing.

Max training paddle I've done is about 20kmhhaven't done much long stuff for a few months but that's ok. I'll be back into it once I've got my shit sorted here with a house and work etc

Latest Forum Topics