Upgrading from an old model V10 Sport

More
7 years 4 months ago #27653 by Avg paddler
Hello to all, finally signed up to the forum after reading it for the last 5 years.

I live in Perth, Western Australia and am looking at upgrading my ski from and old V10 Sport (blue tip).

Love my current boat just want something a bit lighter and faster, getting back into paddling after not paddling much in the last 12 months, started paddling about 5 years ago.

Recently paddled a Fenn Swordfish S and thought it was a pretty similar ski to mine, chasing people's thoughts on any suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #27671 by Schravesande
I had both skis for a few months. Black nose Epic V10S and carbon Swordfish. In the water these boats were very similar. The SF felt livelier due to the weight advantage but I felt that the Epic was a bit quicker. If this was in fact the case, I could not measure the difference so they were most likely about the same. The SF accelerated quicker measured against other paddlers again most likely due to the weight.
The most noticeable difference was that the SF was smoother into a light to medium chop ie it 'crashed' less. In a cross wind the SF wins hands down. Also it was easier to remount. The SF was, of course, much easier to carry around and get into my ski rack.

In short, the difference between the two was not dramatic . I changed for the sake of the weight and the Epic was quite old.

Other paddlers have had very different findings between these two skis so try the SF out yourself before spending what might turn out to be wasted money.

More
7 years 3 months ago #27674 by red_pepper
If you have opportunity, try out the 2nd gen Stellar SEI; really a superb combination of speed and stability with excellent ergonomics (at least for me).

• grasshopper
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #27676 by grasshopper
Replied by grasshopper on topic Upgrading from an old model V10 Sport
I'm in Perth and have a Stellar SEL current model in Excel (11.5 kg) for sale.

Big jump on speed over V10 sport without much loss of stability.

You're welcome to try it out, if you're near Hillarys marina I can meet you there.

More
7 years 3 months ago #27680 by zachhandler
how about upgrading to the new model v10 sport with either black or red nose? I haven't paddled it but it sounds much better than the old one. I believe it is a complete redesign.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
7 years 3 months ago #27681 by portmanm
What conditions do you paddle in mostly ? Pick a ski that you're comfortable in for the majority of the conditions you paddle in. Do you do wonderful WA downwinds or mix it up mainly in the flat ?

Think Evo II, Stellar SEI, Vajda Hawx 46, Fenn Swordfish S are all good alternatives to an Epic 10S.

Stellar SEL 2gen and Epic V10 could be a step too far but something to aspire too, unless you paddle primarily on the flat.

Also, the layup selection is another consideration, they all behave differently.

I went a step too far with a Epic V12, really limited my ocean paddling growth - stepped into a new Epic V10 for a few years which helped tremendously, then finally settled on a Stellar SEL Excel 2gen for the last 12 months, really suits me for what I do, 80-90% open ocean paddling in any conditions.

Carbonology, Oceanbuilt and Nelo have alternatives too.

Get ya butt in as many as you can in the conditions you paddle in for least 2 to 3 hours.

Good luck - you may need two ski :-)

Matt

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
7 years 3 months ago #27682 by TaffyMick
Used to have a black tip 2nd gen Epic V10S and a Swordfish (full carbon). In hindsight maybe I should have kept the Swordfish for inshore, flat water. Not much of an ocean paddler but had issues remounting the Swordie. 2gen V10S was not an issue. However the paddling position or fit of the V10S did not suit me.

Moved to Stellars as the paddling position and fit suited me. Including the S18S, SR and SEI. While I have had several Stellars the new generation low volume, seat further forward and swede hull design makes for an excellent boat. Currently have a 2nd Gen SR in Excel and planning to soon upgrade to a new 2nd Gen SEI in the Advantage lay up.

As Matt said, try as many boats as you can and find what suits you the best. Good luck.

Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

More
7 years 3 months ago #27684 by Avg paddler
Thanks to everyone that responded, some excellent info, much appreciated.

I demo'd the Swordfish S and Stellar SEL 2g and Epic V10 (new model), ended up buying a second hand Epic V10 performance as I'm not the position to buy a new ski at present.

I feel at home in the Epic's, although weight of ski is an issue.

Lots to like about the Stellar, however for some reason I don't feel totally comfortable in them, that said can't fault them on build quality. I've owned a 1G SE and had the same issue.

Whilst the SEL is a huge improvement over this model I still think the steering feel is pretty vague.

Time will tell if I have made the right choice, if not I'll give something else a go.

I've had one ocean paddle in it and did get wet once, will keep the Sport and alternate between the two depending on conditions, I only paddle in the ocean.

Thanks again for the responses.

More
7 years 3 months ago #27719 by Tecpartner
I just upgraded from an old V10S blue stripe (club layup)which I paddled for about 8 years, to a Think EVO II in Elite layup. The EVO II has a different feel to it, slightly less primary stability, perhaps due to a higher seating position.

Of course ski designs have progressed in the last 8 years, so there are inarguable advantages, like a narrower catch. The cockpit is a better fit, as the old V10S has a very wide seat, and me, not so much.

I explain the difference as a "half step" upgrade. The difference in weight makes the new EVO II much easier to handle out of the water.

I'd rather be paddling....

Think EVO II
Epic V10S
Nelo 520
Epic V8

Latest Forum Topics