Brisbane

• Zeus
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #10891 by Zeus
Replied by Zeus on topic Re: Brisbane
I'm keen on a semi regular paddle from Manly, Wellington Pt. I can make most weekends depending on family commitments.

Boof Head, Markmyword are you still looking for other paddlers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #10893 by Markmyword
Replied by Markmyword on topic Re: Brisbane
Sure thing. Send me an email on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I will get back to you with my ph number and we will set up a time.

Look forward to hearing from you and anyone else who might be keen.

• Zeus
  • Visitor
12 years 3 weeks ago #10894 by Zeus
markmyword... good, look forward to some company, I'll send you an email shortly

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10924 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re: Brisbane
Did you both work out a time and place? I was thinking about a paddle to St Helena from Wynnum but could easily be talked in to something else.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10927 by Markmyword
Boof Head - Give me a call on 0466 401 516 or email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

anyone else interested in a paddle early Saturday. Launch from the carpark beside Royal Queensland Yacht Club.

Feel free to give me a call on the number above.

Mark

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #10951 by Markmyword
Couple of guys interested. Planning on leaving the boatramp beside Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron at 7am. See you there.

maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Royal+Queensla...+Queensland&t=m&z=15

• Zeus
  • Visitor
12 years 2 weeks ago #10961 by Zeus
Markmyword and I had a good paddle this morning.

We are keen to set up a regular Sat paddle +-630am leaving from RQYS boat ramp, distance around 8km usually upwind to start and finish with an easier downwind paddle back into the harbour if possible.

Anyone else interested?

More
12 years 1 week ago #11171 by Markmyword
Hope i am not out of line. I am attaching the info for the 2012 Pacific Ocean Series just in case anyone wants to attend and has not seen the email yet.

Happy Easter Paddlers,

Welcome to the 2012-13 Pacfic Ocean Series.

Both Dez and I have listened to your feedback and looked at a number of changes to this years series including Friday, Saturday and Sunday race days / flat, semi open and open water courses / 12km, 16km and 18km race distances / series point score for line honors and individual categories / plus much more.

Over the next week you will be receiving emails and updates relating to this years series including the individual events, new web site, new eNewsletters and other important information.

This years series events are below with dates, locations, distances, courses and event organizers contact details.

2012-13 Dates
Date

Location & Distance

Type of Course

Event Contact

Sunday 22nd April

Macleay Island

15kms

Semi Open Water

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Sunday 27th May

Brunswick

14-16km

River

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Friday 15th June

Hamilton Island

16kms

Semi Open Water

Saturday 18th August

Coomera Cup

12-14kms

River

Sunday 30th September

Hervey Bay

14-16kms

Semi Open Water

Saturday 17th November

Gold Coast Challenge

14-16kms

Open Water

Saturday 22nd December

Gold Coast Sprint

12kms

Canal

Saturday 2nd February

Latitude 28

16-18kms

Open Water

MALE

Ocean Racing Ski U19
Ocean Racing Ski 20-39
Ocean Racing Ski 40-49
Ocean Racing Ski 50+
SLSA Ski U19
SLSA Ski 20-39
SLSA Ski 40+

FEMALE

Ocean Racing Ski U19
Ocean Racing Ski 20-39
Ocean Racing Ski 40+
SLSA Ski U19
SLSA Ski 20-39
SLSA Ski 40+

Double Skis Unisex
OTHER

Sea Kayaks / Plastics

K1 male
K1 female

SUP male
SUP female

OC male
OC Female
OC Double Unisex

2012-13 Categories

The Pacific Ocean Series also has new categories designed around ocean / SLSA ski paddlers as well as OC, K1, SUP and other craft.

What’s New for 2012-13

All the individual events within the Pacific Ocean Series will have a bigger influence this year with the series looking after the common web site, registration, race numbers and timing. Individual event organizers will look after all other items which may or may not include gift bags, random prizes, winners prizes etc. Please note the series will not be providing race tops and it will be up to the individual events and their sponsors to determine if they can supply race tops for competitors.

Get Ready for the First Event - Macleay Island Canoe Race

Our first event will be on Sunday 22nd April at Macleay Island, one of the more beautiful paddling experiences from last years series.

Event: Macleay Island Canoe Race

Date: Sunday 22nd April

Course: One lap around Macleay Island

Race briefing: 9.30am

Race start: 10.00am

Format: Scratch Start

Entry Fees: U/19 $40; all other age groups $50; Doubles $80; Team Relay $100

Safety: PFD's must be worn.

For all enquiries: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Transport to Islan

Stradbroke Car Ferries leave from Redland Bay at 7.00am on Sunday 22, 2012. Bookings at www.trybooking.com/BHQY

A trailer with a limited amount of racks will be travelling on this barge for those carrying crafts. Loading will take place prior to boarding so please arrive prior to 6.30am.

Those wishing to travel over on the Saturday to enjoy the Island and attend the Event Dinner in the evening can book by phoning 07 3488 5300 and quoting the Special Fare Code SF1946

Time Table available at www.stradbrokeferries.com.au/?page=40 Passenger ferry BIT also leaves from Redland Bay. Timetable www.bayislandstransitsystem.com.au

It is only a 4km from Victoria Point to the Tingira Boat Club so competitors are encouraged to paddle across on the Saturday or Sunday morning. A boat will be in place at the Victoria Point Boat Ramp at 7.30am to guide competitors across. Please keep clear of shallow water.

Registration is now open and you can enter via this link below:

www.registernow.com.au/secure/Register.aspx?ID=5940

Prize Money for Macleay

Race 1 - Main Event

1st Male $350.00, Female $350.00

2nd Male $200.00, Female $200.00

3rd Male $100.00, Female $100.00

Category Prizes awarded

Race 2 - Team Relay

Tingira Boat Club trophy to the winning relay team.

We hope you have all had a great off season and are now back into training for the start of the new series.

We look forward in seeing you all on the 22nd April.

Happy Padding,

Julian Norton-Smith & Dez Blanchfield

Pacific Ocean Series

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #11641 by Subi06
Replied by Subi06 on topic Re: Brisbane
Hi,
Is there anywhere in Brisbane that I can hire or try a surf ski. I have been thinking about getting one but would like to try it out first.

Thanks
Brad
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Subi06.

• Zeus
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14420 by Zeus
Replied by Zeus on topic Re: Brisbane paddling club/training
Does anyone know if there are any paddling clubs or training sessions based South of the river?

I've been paddling from Manly harbour and Colmslie Reserve, but I am always the only one on the water. I've seen a few skis on the top of cars by the river, but haven't been able to find a club or group of paddlers.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14421 by TJD
We paddle from the end of Quay Street Bulimba. Wednesday and Friday mornings on the water at 0445. Feel free to join us. We usually get out on the bay if the winds up on the weekends otherwise we'll do a tidal run on the river or an out n back.

• Zeus
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14422 by Zeus
Thanks TJD, I'll try and make it this week or next. Do you know where the best website to find out what races are on in Qld?
Hugh

• Zeus
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14423 by Zeus
how far do you generally paddle, do you have a time when you plan to be off the water?

• Zeus
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14424 by Zeus
Replied by Zeus on topic Re: Brisbane paddling club/training
which end of Quay street?

More
11 years 5 months ago #14425 by TJD
Replied by TJD on topic Re: Brisbane
Depends on what we're training for. At the moment its 20 Beaches so we're generally off the water around 0615. After Christmas that blows out occasionally to 0630/0645 as the sessions are Molokai orientated.

Races have a look at aocra.com.au/sqzone/index.php?page=oc1-2-series-2010 entry fees are very reasonable and if you’re not a member of AOCRA day insurance is only $8 usually. There is a ski division, unfortunately the series is almost finished the last race is this Saturday at Mooloolaba but the Nationals are in Coffs on 8/9 December.

Also check out PACOS events www.paddle2fitness.com.au/events/pacific-ocean-series/

More
11 years 5 months ago #14426 by TJD
opposite the golf club. There is a park and small car park at the of Quay Street

• Zeus
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14427 by Zeus
Thanks I'm in it for the fun and training, not much chance of a placement! I've also been paddling off Woorim on Bribie island.

I'm new to Brisbane so if you have any suggestions on good paddles I'd appreciate the info. Does anyone ever paddle the inland rivers in racing kayaks?

More
11 years 5 months ago #14438 by Markmyword
Great paddle this morning guys. Thanks for letting me tag along. Makes for a great start to the day.

• Zeus
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14439 by Zeus
Mark I'm glad you kept up, hope for me! I'll be there as soon as I can get my head around a 04:45 start.

TJD when and where do you paddle on the weekend?

More
11 years 5 months ago #14440 by TJD
Replied by TJD on topic Re: Brisbane
No worries Mark! Depends on wind and tides. Usually make that call after Friday arvos forecast. Txt me 0412092313 Friday nights if you like. Cheers

Latest Forum Topics