Molokai like Spec Skis

More
12 years 10 months ago #6928 by richardh
A few spec Australian ski manufactures are producing Molokai like spec skis.

While the spec skis are heavier, they are often more robust and for beginner/intermediate paddlers may be an option. I acknowledge that stability may be an issue over a Molokai ski.

I paddled the new Hayden PR2 a few months ago and although it didn't suit me, the seat was a tad too narrow, it was a fast ski.

A mate of mine recorded his fastest (flat water) speed and hasn't matched it yet in his V10!

Has anyone else had some experience with the newer spec skis?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #6943 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re:Molokai like Spec Skis
Hi Richard , I make the Stealth skis and am not sure if you classify ours as "molokai like" but as I make an ocean ski as well as the SLSA spec ones there are some MAJOR design differences , such as spec is shorter / wider overall /wider nose/ which leads to higher seating position and therefore better ergonomics. They are also heavier and more robust if built to the 18kg rule too.

edited to say the width of the boat at your feet is greater than an ocean ski and that is less ergonomic.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by latman.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #6948 by richardh
Replied by richardh on topic Re:Molokai like Spec Skis
Hi Ian.

Thanks for the reply.

By 'more Molokai like' I mean adjustable leg length, venturis and less of a 'wave deflector', I am aware of the SLSA length and for me the short skis are better. I'm sure I read online that one SLSA ski had a single footwell.

Some of our guys have had gelcoat cracks from remount practice in molokai skis only a few years old and that's why the robustness of the SLSA skis is appealing - one of our guys has an 11 yr old Dolphin spec ski that still looks in great nick.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by richardh.

More
12 years 10 months ago #6951 by Rightarmbad

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 10 months ago #6962 by HSC62
Replied by HSC62 on topic Re:Molokai like Spec Skis
Hi Richard
pleased to hear you think our PR2 is a fast ski,and like the term Molokai like ski. We built and have always discribed it as a multi function ski,an excellent slsa spec surf ski and a good ski for the guy who wants to enter distance races on his spec ski. We have customers ring us every week telling us how well they have gone agaist fenns and epics even with an 8kg weight disadvantage, we think it proved itself yesterday with an excellent 3rd place at molokai , though it was a 10kg boat .As for the seat we have made the adjustable seat wider and a new seat and footwell is in the pipe line,if you would like to try again give us a callat the factory

More
12 years 10 months ago #6999 by richardh
Thanks for the posts and congrats to Hayden for a great result.

More
11 years 2 months ago #14988 by Famo
Replied by Famo on topic Re:Molokai like Spec Skis
Richardh - what did you end up buying?

i think I'm going through almost exactly the same process for the same result - speed/stability/ease of remount/robustness (my post is: 'gibbons/interceptor/Oceanbuilt surf skis?').

Yes 'Molokai-like spec' fits the description - I'm looking for a spec ski that's built a little lighter - say around 15 kg, has venturis (optional is fine) and centre-placed steering wires (between the feet) although this ain't a dealer breaker if they're placed laterally!

More
11 years 2 months ago #14989 by richardh
Hi Famo.

I sold my old ski around June 2012 and had planned to wait until after the Avon Descent to buy a new ski.

By pure fluke the day after I sold my ski, a mate sent me a gumtree add for an old style Fenn XT that was only a few kms away. I tried this and it fitted, unlike the newer XTs (I have bucket width issue with many skis), so I bought this with the plan for getting out more in the ocean and providing a benchmark for my next purchase.

I'm planning on trying Hayden's Fat Boy when it's available here in WA as this looks great on paper.

More
11 years 2 months ago #14990 by richardh

Famo wrote: I'm looking for a spec ski that's built a little lighter - say around 15 kg, has venturis (optional is fine) and centre-placed steering wires (between the feet) although this ain't a dealer breaker if they're placed laterally!

I have spoken with a manufacturer (Hayden are another) and it is possible to build a ski, based on the companies spec ski to 14-15kg ... it won't then be a spec ski as it's the wrong weight!

This may make selling a tad more difficult.

More
11 years 2 months ago #14992 by Famo
I too had spotted the Fat Boy.... Definitely keep me posted about it as I'd like to demo for sure. And great that Hayden would drop the weight down a couple of kilos. Yes, I think we're looking for the same thing!

More
11 years 2 months ago #15003 by HSC62
Hi Famo
Not 100% sure what type of craft you are after. The fat boy is'nt really the craft of choice for ocean racing . PR2 in carbon at 10.5 kg is a different story , it has shocked many epic and fenn paddlers.
If you would like to email me a contact number at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. I will give you a call and tell you all there is to know about our craft. We pride ourselfs on our service and are happy to build what our customers require where possible

As for a fat boy demo in W.A we will get one there as soon as we can PROMISE, our agent is on our case daily,at the mowment fat boy demand is well and truly running ahead of suply .

Hope to hear from you soon, if you guy's subscribe to our news letter on our site www.haydensurfcraft.com you will be kept up to date with what we are doing and special offers each month

More
11 years 2 months ago #15012 by Famo
Thanks for answering this post! Great that you're monitoring the board and entering the discussion.

What is the Fat Boy designed for?

I guess the main aims of my search are common ones:

- I'm not looking to race but

- I want to paddle the challenging and fun (occasionally frustrating) chop thrown up every arvo by the Fremantle Doctor so my preference is for a

- Spec ski design cos I prefer a shallow seat bucket - I'm a side-saddle re-mounter so deeper buckets are no good for me (as I found out recently demo'ing non-spec ocean racers) and

- A couple of kilos lighter (I know this makes it non-Spec but I ain't competing) and

- A design which allows the ski to pop over waves rather than cut through them and

- A design to prevent the ski nose-diving when going down the face of waves and

- Very high primary and secondary stability to help me in our daily two-way chop (wind and swell come in mostly southerly from the wind and south-westerly from the swell) and therefore

- Robustness to take a lotta wave pounding cos I actually love to paddle upwind!

- Reasonably quick in the chop (I demo'd a Fenn V8 which was pretty good - except for being foreign made - but a tad slow) cos I don't want to look bad when club members flash past me on the 6.4 m elite level ocean racers - they are competitive bastards and I have my pride to keep so there's a performance aspect to this search which is IMPORTANT!

- Must be Australian made - I'm fiercely patriotic.

- Must have venturis cos I hate having sodden feet.

- prefer centre mounted steering wires - between my feet - cos I catch on the wires if they're situated laterally when I fall out (a lot).

Does this all sound familiar?

Does anyone else recognise these requirements? If so, do you have any suggestions?

I want some new technology. My previous ski was a Gibbons Rhino Chaser - for 10 years - but I've killed it by wave bashing and am giving it away to a club member to learn to paddle on it. Once it's repaired (a couple of hundred), he'll have a nifty first ski in hot pink - great to keep in touch with one's sensitive side.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15026 by HSC62
The Fat Boy is a de-tuned version of the PR2 . We saw a need for a craft for intermediate and mature paddlers, masters race them ,and they did win golds in last years worlds in adalaide( it is spec legal) . As the name sugests it's alittle wider ,flatter under the seat,wider tail , wide seat (Richardh) will have no problems, this and more make it super stable , open ocean will stay close to PR2 ,excellent running ski, in big conditions we have one guy that leaves PR2 's he's called the ski distroyer by his mates , not sure if that is performance or ticker (he's had it 6months and has'nt disrtoyed it yet)
If your not racing it will tick alot of the boxes , you could compare it with epic v8 , heavy chop is the worry anything with a deflector has a problem in heavy chop.
as promised there is one on the floor right now with W.A on it should be there in a couple of weeks , contact our agent and he will make it available to you for afew days (it will be 18kg) cant wait to see how it handles it . try PR2 spec and compare . Happy Paddling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Famo

More
11 years 2 months ago #15038 by richardh
Hi HSC62.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm looking forward to trying it.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15248 by richardh
Here's a few comments on the Hayden Fat Boy from Fat Paddler.

The author has similar issues to me ...

I struggle badly in my ocean surfski going out through surf or facing side chop.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15251 by Famo
Replied by Famo on topic Re: Molokai like Spec Skis
Thanks for the heads-up Richardh - am keen to try both the Fay Boy and the PR2. Who is the WA rep? And do you have his contact number please?

I have no probs getting through surf - it's more the cross chop that gets me wet - so maybe the PR2 would suit to prevent the 70 yr olds whipping past in their 6.4 m ocean racers!

Btw, tried the Gibbons GR3 - very good boat, solid performer - very like my old Rhino Chaser. And the Fenn Tarpon (spec) - this is really good for me - super stable and has a deeper bucket than the usual 13 cm deep spec cockpit - kinda blows my plan of buying Australian though. Anyhoo, still got to try Hayden, Interceptor and the Dolphin 580 (D1 too tippy for me in the cross chop).

How's your quest going?

More
11 years 1 month ago #15284 by richardh
Replied by richardh on topic Re: Molokai like Spec Skis
Hi Famo

I'm struggling to find the time for any Ocean paddles, leave alone demoing many boats!

Fit is my biggest issue and even some of the ocean skis that have wide buckets I find painful. I could sit in my old ski for hours without an issue!

I can likely paddle these skis and survive - my previous ski was based on a spec ski - but I want to be able to enjoy the paddle without balance issues!

I don't have the time available to practice in the ocean and this is why I am more interested in a de-tuned racing ski than a racing ski with a lower seat.

John is the WA agent and his details are available from Hayden.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15303 by HSC62
Replied by HSC62 on topic Re: Molokai like Spec Skis
Hi Guy's
The review on fat paddler is excellent and explains the Fat Boy very well,
Just letting you know we have not forgotten you , just going flat out to supply the demand , however I am pleased to say a brand new Fat Boy demo is all packed ready to go on the truck to W.A tuesday 12/2/13, sure John will be pleased about that.

Latest Forum Topics