PFD's

More
16 years 5 months ago #1162 by superted
PFD's was created by superted
Maybe a quick review of paddling specific PFD's, (if suppliers can make them available). Rob could model them ;D.

And maybe give a rundown on how bouyant they are, ease of remounting into a ski and comfort whilst paddling.

Finally where to buy the SA (goya, mocke) brands online??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #1163 by mckrouk
Replied by mckrouk on topic Re: PFD's
I have access to a water flow rate meter, used by Urologists to measure, well...flow. My idea is to dunk the PFD into the water and measure how quickly it drains. as well as the volume of water. That should settle the polystyrene balls question.

More
16 years 5 months ago #1164 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: PFD's
:P... I have confess that I've done all the work for the review, but haven't written it up yet. We had test models from Goya, Mocke (Quicksilver) and Tripper.

The Goya jacket was a prototype so difficult to comment on except that it was comfortable once on - they are still developing the production version, which will have a zip on one side to make it easier to put on. It has the biggest pocket in front, but the one I had didn't have a juice bladder (although I believe this will be an option.)

My recommendations:
Mocke - drains instantly, nice big pocket in front, comes with nice juice bladder with bite valve
Tripper surf ski PFD - also doesn't absorb water (made with blocks of foam), smaller pocket to the side. bladder doesn't have bite valve, but a clamp on the tube.

An alternative to consider

Tripper inflatable PFD. I don't like it particularly because I wouldn't want to be trying to blow it up in extremis, but I can definitely see that it has its place especially in hot climates. It's by far the lightest and coolest of the PFDs. No excuses about overheating guys - this one is like wearing a vest.

(Incidentally the term PFD doesn't apply in South Africa - these are "kayaking jackets". Graham Christensen of Tripper commented, "Just on terminology, the term PFD does not apply to our kayaking jackets (or anybody else's) as defined by the SABS. Internationally, the term PFD is applicable, but not in SA.")

On the subject of the bead-filled Tripper PFD, I used one for years and a number of my paddling buddies still use them. They're very comfortable, because they mould to your body; and they're quite warm. I prefer the block filled version however because of couple of seconds that it takes for the water to come out of the beaded jacket.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 4 months ago #1165 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: PFD's
Hey Ted,

For races like the Liffey Descent etc we have to wear lifejackets, I use one by a company called Ras Dex. Really comfortable jacket, would highly recommend it.

The company was started in the UK a few years ago and now have a New Zealand base, the guy who runs it is a top bloke.

www.rasdex.com/index.cfm/UK/Home

More
16 years 3 months ago #1166 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: PFD's
Check out a NZ company "Hydraulic" they make an adventure racing oriented pfd that might fit the bill fo
r not to constricting of movement and specific features good for LD surfski. They call it the race model.Be prepared for sticker shock....what the hey , none of us seem to flinch at 3k plus for a nifty carbon ski . Sandy

Latest Forum Topics