do hip pads help with stabilty

• sv607
  • Fenn SwordFish S,Stellar SR,Fenn XT
More
9 years 5 months ago #22389 by sv607
i have been told that hip pads can help with stability i have a stellar SR. only new into the sport. used to do sea kayaking a while ago. but in my stellar i am very loose in the seat. was told drop some hip pads in and make it a tighter fit. will help not make the ski as rocky. is this true. am only 70kg and i can very easily rock my ski from side to side as its very loose in the seat..

thanks in Advance.

Paddle Smart. Come Home Alive :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #22392 by M.v.E.
I have a Stellar SR too and even with my 85 kg it is very wide at the hips. I got a pair of Stellar hip pads a few years ago and they really improved the fit and the stability for me.
you can attach them with self adhesive velcro and they got different layers of foam inside so that you can adjust them for your size. Just make sure that it is not too tight at the hips so that it will not interfere with your rotation. The only disadvantage is that they easily come loose when I do a reentry

Greetings from Germany

Michael

P.S. Sorry for my bad english

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sv607

More
9 years 5 months ago #22403 by TaffyMick
I am 112kg. Have no problems with the fit in my SR Excel layup!

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

More
9 years 5 months ago #22405 by Metro
Hip pads are marvelous for stability. Contact with the boat will always aid stability and I have used hip pads for years, including in elite boats (I have a small waist and narrow hips). On the downside, hip pads can inhibit rotation. I like the Epic hip pads because they have multiple layers of foam that can be removed. As you are getting used to a boat, lots of foam means lots of contact and thus lots of stability (although perhaps everything is relative ....). But yeah, rotation suffers. Of course at the beginning balance is more important than roation. As your stability improves you can begin removing some of the foam pads, which increases the ability to rotate. In the Spark (a very narrow boat) I have only the Epic hip pad "shells", with no foam inside. That very slight bit of contact is all that it takes. Hope this helps.

• sv607
  • Fenn SwordFish S,Stellar SR,Fenn XT
More
9 years 5 months ago #22407 by sv607
does anyone know where in Australia i can order the stellar Hip Pads. i can find them on the Australian stellar site but it shows no way of buying them. i can easily order the epic hip pads. but would rather have stellar on stellar...

thanks in advance.

Paddle Smart. Come Home Alive :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #22655 by Suburbanbloke
Email Gordon Club. His email address on the website. Top bloke, fast delivery. I got a range of gears for my Stellar Kayak and Ski

More
9 years 4 months ago #22681 by stretchstruwig
If yu not sorted with hip pads yet then go to yur local prosthetist, take yur ski with and they will make it custom fit - glue on and yu'll have proper fixed pads ( no nead to replace as their pads are normally made of good material)
Did my ski and they still going after five years !!!

More
9 years 4 months ago #22682 by jagter
Pads make a huge difference IF the seat bucket is too big. You can't paddle properly if you keep sliding from side to side.

Some doubles have ridiculously huge buckets. Cut some pads out of a cheap foam camping mattress and duct tape it to the bucket. Then you can also experiment with the positioning and thickness. Easy peasy and almost for free.

Latest Forum Topics