Boat stats : a suggestion

More
16 years 7 months ago #939 by EdK
Hi - I was going to write a mail to Rob but thought it might be more relevant to post here instead (and not flood Rob's inbox :) ).
As one or two of you might know I have been dithering about buying a surfski but decided that I need to finish building my house first etc etc

However I've been reading reviews with interest and intend to get a ski and wing paddle as soon as finicials allow :)

What struck me was that for the beginner/new ski chooser there is alot of information out there but not necessarily all condensed in one place...

What I thought might be a useful starting place would be to have a page or two on this site outlining some of the stats for a range of surfski's.

I started to make my own list of ski's that I thought I'd like to buy and soon came up with a list of all the vital stats for a range of boats (ok... the list got a little big and I included all the skis I could find : V10 / Evo / Honcho / Mako / Huki etc - regardless of whether I could afford them or get them shipped).

I realised that for me maybe something like a 19' x 19" x 15kg fibreglass boat might do the trick... but anyway, I'll leave my decision until spring.

What was useful was having all the details in a kind of spread sheet type format...

Maybe length / width / weight / website / suitability (flat/waves etc) / link to this sites review.

I know that choosing a ski is alot more subjective than this and you should try them but might be useful to see info like this...

Maybe an idea ?!
Cheers
Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #940 by [email protected]
Great idea.

Data could be presented on one page as a table with a link to reviews where they were available. It needs someone to go to each manufacturer's website to collect data.

Any volunteers?! :)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 7 months ago #941 by EdK
Replied by EdK on topic Re: Boat stats : a suggestion
.. 'nother thing - I found it useful to display details according to different criteria... ie I displayed the list according to the width of the boat (and was a little surprised that the longest were not always the narrowest :) )... could do by weight etc...
Ed

More
16 years 7 months ago #942 by EdK
Replied by EdK on topic Re: Boat stats : a suggestion
...'nother thing... maybe owners could post the actual weight of their skis, from reading around there seems to be a bit of difference in weights but I guess alot of that depends on what options they choose.
Cheers

Ed... might get round to posting some of the manufacturers details but have to do some work now :)

Latest Forum Topics