Which waterproof pouch?

More
11 years 5 months ago #13566 by [email protected]
When going offshore in big weather, you must have means of communication, whether it's flares, VHF or cellphone - if you want someone to be able to find you.
(If you're content to swim and let the helicopter/rescue vessel try to get sight of you in among the breaking waves, then don't take a thing with you!)

I just had a question about which waterproof pouch to use with a cellphone.

Answer:

My firm favourite is Aquapac. They're tough and last well BUT like everything else, they do wear out eventually so:

- Use a cheap secondary phone for paddling (I bought a R200/$30 low end nokia) with a duplicate SIM.
- Test the pouch every time before you go on the water by squeezing it - it'll be obvious if it has developed a leak.

Or... get a waterproof phone as your secondary. Bit more expensive (R1000/$120).

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christopher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #13573 by Bill L
Replied by Bill L on topic Re: Which waterproof pouch?
Agree mostly; but, I tend to think a waterproof VHF/phone inside an aquapac is best. As you indicated, you'll know when the aquapac eventually fails, but, since the device itself is waterproof it can handle the intial wetness.

I have always thought that a the word "waterproof" for an electronic device is fairly relative, regardless of what the manufacturer says. A saltwater environment is a prety harsh environment - I think dual protection is good insurance (as you also can with a secondary comm device).

I also keep my "waterproof" flares inside a small waterproof bag.

BTW - I am very grateful for all the safety stuff that has been posted on this site over the last few years, especially the "this is what happened to me" stories. It is a great service to the surfski community.

Bill L
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Bill L.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13576 by Rightarmbad
Everytime I go into a boating shop I have a look around for a flare suitable for personal use on a surfski.
Doesn't seem to be anything stocked or even easily available in this neck of the woods.

Anybody got a link to a good product so I can get a retailer to source one for me?

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 5 months ago #13578 by Bill L
I don't know if these are available down under, but they are small, self-contained,and "waterproof":

ORION Skyblazer II Aerial Flares

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...50494&classNum=50495
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rightarmbad, Geofff

More
11 years 5 months ago #13580 by Newbflat
Just a comment on Skyblazer flares. I don't trust them, at all. Over the last 20 years i have shot off my out of date Skyblazers on the 4th of july in a non marine environment with other fireworks. Yes i know your not suppose too, but they have shown me one thing....... They are very unreliable. Of the 30+ Skyblazers i have shot or been around, only about 20% made it anywhere near there said 450 feet 7 second claim. Maybe 50% never made it more than 50 feet and lasted 3-4 seconds or hit the ground long before 7 seconds were up. Several where total duds and never fired. At least 4 of these where well within there expiration date and they acted about the same as the expired ones and one was a total dud.. It has been a number of years since i have done this and i hope Orion has improved there reliably. My experience was that they were pathetic.

Over the years i have come to the conclusion that the only flare worth anything are the SOLAS grade parachute signal rockets ( i use Pains Wessex as i now don't trust Orion). They work during the daytime and at night and are several orders of magnitude more visible than Skyblazers. They go up to 1000 feet and are 30,000 candle power lasting 40 seconds. I have also shot 5 of these off, some being 10 years out of date. All worked as advertised and there visibility makes skyblazers seem like a joke in comparison, even when working correctly.

There downside is there size, you cant carry them on you. They are 12" x 1.5" or so for the Pains Wessex. Yes they are significantly bigger, but if i ever need to shoot one off in distress, that will be the last thing i will be thinking about. I keep 2 rocket flares and two SOLAS grade hand held flares in a small dry bag with a few other emergence items on the back deck of my kayak. I haven't used it o my ski as i haven't been paddle anywhere where i might need it, but see no problems with slapping it under my deck bungees behind me or in the front of the bucket.

But i digress.......... be weary of Skiblazers!

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill L, Kayaker Greg

More
11 years 5 months ago #13584 by Geofff
Replied by Geofff on topic Re: Which waterproof pouch?
As far as waterproof cases for phones, I use a 'lifeproof' case. These are specifically for the iphone, water 'proof' to 2m and also provides some measure of shock resistance. The advantage of this over other waterproof cases is that the phone (and camera) are very easy to use and the case is designed to be left on the phone.

Online you can get them for about $40 and after 2 months of constant use in the water I haven't had any issues so far.

www.lifeproof.com/shop/iphone-4-4s

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #13587 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Re: Which waterproof pouch?
Thanks Geofff
Does the LifeProof have a lanyard? Or a hole for one?
Rod

More
11 years 5 months ago #13588 by Bill L

Newbflat wrote: Just a comment on Skyblazer flares. I don't trust them, at all. ...
But i digress.......... be weary of Skiblazers!

Thanx for posting about your experience.

The issue I have is that while I have a deck bag with stuff in it, I must plan for the eventuality that I could become separated from my boat, so, the smaller flares to be kept on me. Perhaps a larger flare like you suggest also in the deckbag.

Bill L

More
11 years 5 months ago #13594 by Colnagodreaming
$ 78 for Australians (and $20 for postage). Oh yes, the arm straps is yours for a mere $40 extra. Expensive living in Australia....

More
11 years 5 months ago #13595 by Geofff
Replied by Geofff on topic Re: Which waterproof pouch?
Bloody hell, $78 dollars in Australia! I currently live in the US however I'm heading back home mid next year. I think I'll be stocking up on quite a few items. If only I could bring back a pallet of beer and whiskey. $22 for a bottle of Chivas Regal, I imagine it's a bit more than that in Aust now.

Rod, good question and it's my one complaint with the case. No it doesn't have a lanyard. You can get a 'collar' for it which will ensure it floats if you drop it or as pointed out you can get an arm strap. I just keep mine in a zip up pocket in my PFD.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13602 by [email protected]
These are the flares that I carry.

Tested them in action during daylight in a dodgy offshore situation where my buddy came short. At that point they were out of date and I shot off six out of six and they all worked. They were spotted by multiple people despite being it being in broad daylight.

We also tested them in our S&R exercise where they also proved valuable - in daylight, in 30kt of wind. (The flare left a smoke trail that acted like an "arrow pointing the way" according to the chopper crew.)

Pains Wessex Compact Distress Flare

Here's the story of our adventure where I used the flares in anger

Here's the story of our Search and Rescue exercise with the NSRI

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rightarmbad, Rod Thomas

More
11 years 5 months ago #13604 by Bill L

robin.mousley wrote:
Here's the story of our Search and Rescue exercise with the NSRI

Rob,

That was the story I read a few years back that convinced me no one would see me if I ever got separated from my boat.

Unfortunately, this all proved much too true here in the states last year in Minnesota.

Since then, it has been strong leashes and the ongoing quest to find the best type of visual signals.

Bill L

Latest Forum Topics