Re: Boat design/construction to include separate water tight compartments?

More
16 years 7 months ago #177 by deanjordaan
You gotta love Dale. This guy experiments with all sorts of engineering mods to his craft, and obviously understands the science behind. Reworked rudders, compartments on the footwell to reduce water intake, fixed skeg under the ski to reduce broaching in downwind runs. I recon the ski manufacturers should team up with the guy to help him experiment, I'm sure innovation would result.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #178 by stuartknaggs
Hey Rob, why don't you guys do a back to back flotation test. Fill some boats up and see if you can still paddle them. If you do it in fresh water, there won't be any salt left behind......

Stuart

More
16 years 7 months ago #179 by jsowers
This type of flotation bag would work if the ski had fore and aft inspection ports. I use these on a Greenland kayak which lacks bulkheads. www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1760
Just shove the bag thru the port and inflate via the tube which has a valve.

More
16 years 7 months ago #180 by bluesea
I was told that its not good to rinse the insides of the boat with fresh water. Don't ask me why.

More
16 years 7 months ago #181 by [email protected]

Hey Rob, why don't you guys do a back to back flotation test. Fill some boats up and see if you can still paddle them. If you do it in fresh water, there won't be any salt left behind......

Not a bad idea except that I for one would be very reluctant to fill my boat up with water! It would be a long tedious business trying to get the water out again and i'd be worried that some would be left behind, absorbed into the foam stringer... (Ask any manufacturer it seems, and they'll tell you that their stringer doesn't absorb water while the opposition's stringer does!!)

From talking to guys who have been in situations where the ski has filled with water, there's about enough buoyancy to keep the thing on the surface, but not much more.

www.surfski.info/content/view/363/154/
www.surfski.info/content/view/146/154/

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 7 months ago #182 by jpbekker
I can personally vouch for inflateable airbags. I always use 2 bags in the front/rear of my K1 lodged next to the foam blocks whenever I trip/race a "busy" river. The boat rides much higher in the water during a swim minimizing the risk of a wrap and the boat is easier to empty as well in the event that you have less than perfect footing on the bank. Bonus of the airbag is than it keeps my split spare paddle nicely in place in the back of the boat. The weight gain is really minimal. I'm sure it would be possible to design a tough vinyl type bag to fit a surfski. I have seen a few sit-in-side sea kayaks where the foam bulkhead has pulled away from the deck/sides over extended period of time, rendering it useless.

More
16 years 7 months ago #183 by stuartknaggs
Potential problem with the air bag is that it might dislodge / break the stringer..

More
16 years 7 months ago #184 by jsowers
Ive never had the opportunity or misfortune to see the inside of my ski, so don't know how the stringer runs. Many float bags have tie down grommets to prevent migration. Again I don't know anything about the inside of a ski but seems that tie down points could be glued to the inside, or stick on rings like "lash-it".

Latest Forum Topics