NSRI SafeTrx

More
8 years 7 months ago #24416 by Lance
NSRI SafeTrx was created by Lance
Hi
I was wondering if anyone has had a look at this app and if so, how do you think it relates to us paddling Millers ie) is it Ok for a surfski paddler / price etc
Appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24432 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic NSRI SafeTrx
Seems like we should, hey!

The first pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned is that I'm registered on the US Apple Store because some apps aren't available locally here in SA.

The SA version of this app is only available on the SA store. Bleh. That means that if I install it and there's an upgrade I have switch from the US store to the SA store. Bleh. I asked the app makers if they'd consider posting it to the US store as well.

They haven't so far.

So between that and the thought of entrusting my R10K mobile phone to pouch, it hasn't been very appealing. (Note that I carry flares and a VHF radio as a matter of course so I'm not rejecting safety gear.)

I'd also be very interested to hear if anyone else is using it.

I know in Durban the "Da Real Downwind" guys use phone tracking software - and for the Richards Bay to Durban event, it's compulsory. Not sure which app they're using though.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lance

More
8 years 7 months ago #24434 by Lance
Replied by Lance on topic NSRI SafeTrx
Thanks for the info Rob. I think i'll eventually get a handneld, probably better for us here.
I hear you regarding the 10 grand phone in a pouch, I am a little inclined to go with R 1500 FM radio
Found this:
www.macete.co.za/shop/president-electron...50-swf-handheld-vhf/

More
8 years 7 months ago #24435 by [email protected]
Yep, that looks similar to my radio, which is an ICOM M36

www.icomamerica.com/en/products/marine/h...lds/m36/default.aspx

I used to carry a cheap cell phone as well, until it got stolen :(

I should get another one... Nothing is a 100% guarantee that you'll be safe, but every little thing turns the odds in your favour!

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #24438 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic NSRI SafeTrx
Hey guys, might I suggest a VHF with built in gps?! Nice to be able to relay your exact location. There are a few out there now.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Fath2o.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24440 by Rubys Dad
Replied by Rubys Dad on topic NSRI SafeTrx
www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101

Not sure if this is available where you are but the tech is simple and the system works for us here. Canada remote locations are well served by this sort of thing in my experience when working on water remotely. Not sure if anyone's tried it for paddling though.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24444 by jagter
Replied by jagter on topic NSRI SafeTrx
The app look good and works well.

Of course you have to be in cellphone range. But even when not in range, it should still have some of your way points saved on the server from when you were in range. That will assist any rescue attempts. The feature where NSRI/Wife is notified if you don't return is probably the biggest drswcard.

In saying all that, I've only used it once to test it out. I still have to find the mythical waterproof pouch that stays waterproof. So my expensive phone is staying on land for now. Maybe I'll get a small pelican case.

I did notice that for the 2015 Pete Marlin you are required to have a phone tracking app installed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ric

More
8 years 7 months ago #24445 by [email protected]

So my expensive phone is staying on land for now. Maybe I'll get a small pelican case.

Good point! I just realised that a) I have a small pelican case and b) I don't need to be able to use the phone - after all I carry a radio.

So perhaps I will try it after all. Several of the races in Durban require a tracking app too.

Rob

More
8 years 7 months ago #24464 by Kelvin
Replied by Kelvin on topic NSRI SafeTrx
I still have to find the mythical waterproof pouch that stays waterproof.

I've been using this waterproof case for 4 years and I haven't had a problem yet...touch wood.

www.killerdeals.co.za/waterproof-cases-iphones-p-912.html

More
8 years 7 months ago #24465 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic NSRI SafeTrx
Another one is the Catalyst case www.catalystlifestyle.com/collections/ip...s/iphone-6plus-black though haven't tested it to 5 metres. Certainly makes my iPhone6 Plus into a pretty big unit but is still remarkably compact compared to others I have tried - LifeProof and Otterbox. Easy to recharge and no fiddly bits to screw in or out (and misplace) when you want to use headphones - not in the water of course..

Don't know how my Catalyst performs in anger though. I did try texting someone when I was out of my boat one day with the Lifestyle case however with water on the screen the message was scribble - two or three random letters would come up when I attempted to text one letter rarely containing the letter I had chosen. Obviously water dispersing the contact on screen. I know the idea of having a phone is that emergency call but need to bear in mind if in the drink texting is vey difficult/maybe impossible. But of course, who would be composing an extended message "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.."?

More
8 years 7 months ago #24466 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic NSRI SafeTrx
This article may be worth a read. Todays VHF radios with GPS can track
up to ten "buddy's" with the same radio.

www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/082000a.htm

Latest Forum Topics