Re: Boat design/construction to include separate water tight compartments?

More
16 years 6 months ago #185 by bluesea

Ive never had the opportunity or misfortune to see the inside of my ski, so don't know how the stringer runs. Many float bags have tie down grommets to prevent migration. Again I don't know anything about the inside of a ski but seems that tie down points could be glued to the inside, or stick on rings like "lash-it".

Unfortunately, I have. The most spectacular was coming in through Old Man's during a big south swell (the surf break fronting the finish at this years Epic Molokai race). After a Hawaii Kai run, I kept going back out and surfing back in. There were two guys on a 4 man outrigger surf canoe sharing the waves and they ate it on the wave in front of me. Already commited, I tried to angle a little bit up the face of the wave but the rudder stalled and I had to bail. It was funny because the two heads bobbing next to the huli-ed canoe had eyes abut THIS BIG and everything seemed like slo-mo.

My kevlar Twogood Chalupski ending up on top of their huli-ed OC-4, with the ski broken in three. The bow floated away, and the other two pieces were held together by the steering cables. Turns out the Chalupski had about a 3-1/2" wide full-length EPS foam stringer (major positive flotation). After clearing the wreakage and uprighting the OC, a huge set was coming in so I jumped in and helped paddle out with my non-wing paddle, and then spent the next hour surfing the OC-4.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #186 by stuartknaggs
Maybe another good way to do the floatation thing is to get the manufacturers to come clean about their internal construction and declare the included foam. Then blacklist any manufacturers who get caught cheating. This may also help to stop / confirm all the rumours about the V10s.

More
16 years 6 months ago #187 by bluesea

Maybe another good way to do the floatation thing is to get the manufacturers to come clean about their internal construction and declare the included foam. Then blacklist any manufacturers who get caught cheating. This may also help to stop / confirm all the rumours about the V10s.

Blacklist? Cheating? What rumours? I thought the V10 was an uncompromised racing design, with all of the safety built into it for that particular usage. There are pics on this website of the internals, and you can see the internal bow construction through the drain hole.

My bad, there is a vertical stringer in the bow section.

More
16 years 4 months ago #188 by mulus
they make three piece kayaks. That would be easy on traveling and probly6 weigh moor and cost moor.

More
16 years 4 months ago #189 by [email protected]

Blacklist? Cheating? What rumours? I thought the V10 was an uncompromised racing design, with all of the safety built into it for that particular usage. There are pics on this website of the internals, and you can see the internal bow construction through the drain hole.

There are rules for surf lifesaving that govern the buoyancy - but there are no rules for Ocean Racing. Perhaps there should be - but at the moment there are none so it's not correct to talk about "cheating" and blacklisting.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 4 months ago #190 by stuartknaggs
Hi Rob, what I was trying to get across was

- get the manufacturers to declare what buoyancy they incorporate into their boats - kind of like the ingredients list on a tin of food etc. Then hammer them if they are caught not including the bouyancy that they declared.

So if brand X says that they include 100 litres of foam in their skis for example and it is later found that they don't, we as a group of consumers, can get on their case.

If a manufacturer decides to market a boat without buoyancy to get the weight down to a bare minimum, then it should be stated, so that a customer knows if he splits a seam, his ski will sink - as has been seen to happen with some skis of a particular brand.

Stuart

Stuart

More
16 years 4 months ago #191 by [email protected]

\get the manufacturers to declare what buoyancy they incorporate into their boats - kind of like the ingredients list on a tin of food etc. Then hammer them if they are caught not including the bouyancy that they declared.

Right - Great idea. As you say, then you'll know what's what with your ski!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics