remounting a double ski

More
8 years 5 months ago #24883 by kevin brunette
How many times have you ventured out on a double ski without sufficient remounting proficiency? I have found that it is more difficult remounting a double than it is my single ski. The problem for me is that the seat rails are higher out of the water than those of a single, necessitating considerably more strength to pull myself up.
One paddler might get up more easily than the other, so this can dictate the sequence. The craft can be tilted for the first paddler, but not the second. The paddler with less upper body strength should therefore remount first. This sequence allows you to steady and importantly, tilt the craft so it is easier to clamber up over the high seat rail.
Once up, the first paddler keeps a low centre of gravity with his or her feet over side to steady the craft as the second paddler remounts. The second paddler needs a certain agility and upper body strength, because the boat will be level, with the seat rail high out of the water.
Do forum contributors follow specific methods of remounting a double, especially when a paddler has limited upper body strength?

FENN Bluefin, XT, Swordfish S
Author and publisher at South Easter Communications of books in the SURFSKI series, aimed at recreational to advanced paddlers. Look at the Facebook page Surfski know-how and visit www.lulu.com/spotlight/southeastercommunications

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 5 months ago #24886 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic remounting a double ski
There are lots of tricks. Here are couple of ideas:
As stated, let the "weaker" of the two paddlers remount first.
Have the first person straddle the boat (one leg on either side of the boat, however, for shorter paddlers, this is nearly impossible since the walls are just too tall to straddle. So in the case of a smaller paddler, both feet must remain inside the ski. In order for shorter paddlers to add stability, a sculling brace should be practiced beforehand, and used while the second person remounts.
To ease the remount of the second person, remember that you are already wet - since you are in the water. First step is to remain relaxed in the water. Second step is thinking and positioning yourself. If you are weaken, or if you have difficulties remounting, then DO NOT attempt to pull yourself out of the water. That's right: do the opposite of what you have been told: do not remount. First, take a really big breathe of air as if you wanted to free dive to 90 feet. Then, simply "raise" both arms to sink feet first. Finally, as you start floating back to the surface, kick like a bat out of hell. I assure you that with practice, this remount technique is one of the easiest - but it's all in the timing, so you must practice it a bit.

Just think of yourself as launching out of the water, and using your positive buoyancy do the work for you.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics