Leashes with clips

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #30493 by [email protected]
LaPerouseBay, HangTen, I'm not really interested in who first yanked the other's chain, but the discussion is degenerating into mush.
Please don't get personal.
If you think the other guy is stupid, just ignore his comments. If they're truly offensive or obviously troll-like, give me a shout and I'll delete them, simple - just like I've deleted the offensive posts from this thread.
Much easier and healthier than blowing your blood pressure valve.
Thanks.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by [email protected].
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike k

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #30501 by Cryder
Replied by Cryder on topic Leashes with clips
Well Mrs.Lincoln, other then that there is one more point to consider with leashes. I have seen a blown leash mount, and it reminded me of a lesson from my mountain climbing days that anchors can / should be made redundant.
Image 1
Image 1
There is a small company in Hood River that makes adhesive leash mounts, and whether you use a stern leash plug or a cockpit leash plug - this is just a small extra layer of protection that weighs next to nothing. If there was a huge impact it could give the paddler once extra chance to stay with the ski.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Cryder. Reason: broken image links.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike k, HangTen

More
6 years 4 months ago #30506 by HangTen
Replied by HangTen on topic Leashes with clips
Thank for the info Cryder. Can you recount how the leah mount was torn out(if you have pictures of the damage that would be cool as well) and also how much reinforcement/load spreader you could see under the deck. Thanks.

More
6 years 4 months ago #30507 by downwinda
Replied by downwinda on topic Leashes with clips
For many years running, prior to Carter Johnson putting on the Gorge Downwind Champs, JD Davies held the Wildside Relay. One of his prerequisites was having a solid leash, He would go around looking at all the canoes and skis and, seeing a sketchy setup, give a leash a hard tug and many would break. People would be like "hey, you just broke my leash!", and he'd say "better here than out on the water". I can't recall if he pulled any plugs out doing that, but I do know he broke a bunch of cheap plastic connectors. Plus he was always pulling grass out of the Velcro.

More
6 years 4 months ago #30508 by Cryder
Yeah, pretty sure it was a 1st gen V10S that had developed soft spots over time from UV exposure. Rider came off on a big day in the Gorge, ski took off without him. Leash still on his leg. Don't have pictures. I've also seen it on windsurf boards and SUP's as well.

More
6 years 4 months ago #30509 by davgdavg
Replied by davgdavg on topic Leashes with clips
Happens on surfboards all the time too, and those plugs are glassed and glued into the board, though they are receiving a lot more force normally.

More
6 years 4 months ago #30510 by Cryder
Here's a link to the attachments I use:

www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.a...ct=338&idcategory=93

These can also be placed on the nose of a ski as a recovery option because it will fold over the ridge - if you've ever tried to tow an elite ski that doesn't have a handle up front (V10 to V14 for example) these can be a life saver.

More
6 years 4 months ago #30515 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Leashes with clips
That's a good tip Cryder - use those stick ons as a tow up front or a backup for the leash out back. But they don't work very well as a primary mount. I've tried them and ripped that spectra right out without much of a pull.

downwinda: JD convinced me years ago to use the rear leash when he visited Maui years ago. He was using a standard surf leash. It works fine, they are designed to stretch under load. But I didn't like the need to get the length perfect to keep it on the rear deck. Also, the noise of the leash banging on the deck is distracting.

So, I moved on to the NSI, linked in an earlier post in this thread. Great belt - one hand quick release. Soft, stretchy leash that is quiet on the deck. Enough shock absorption to avoid damage to the leash plug - and allow extra reach in the bucket. I can lean forward to reach the vent plug while seated. You can't do that with a solid leash, unless it's so long it drags in the water.

Another huge benefit to the stretchy leash is that I can walk to and from the water while clipped in. That's very handy this time of year when landing at a beach packed with tourists. If there is a swell, I don't want to unclip before launching or landing and risk losing control of the boat. A wayward ski will take out a lot of children playing in shorebreak....

downwind dilettante

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
6 years 4 months ago #30516 by Wombat661
Replied by Wombat661 on topic Leashes with clips
In the same webpage, there are these adhesive mounts for kiteboard footstrap.

www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.a...t=159&idcategory=107

Imagine if they are for footstrap, they have to be very sturdy. Don't know about the adhesive, but each of those fasteners would probably take at least a hundred lbs to tear out. Fastener itself probably 500 lbs.

Let say you get two of the next to each other for double strength. For boats that don't have a rear handle, that might be the answer. Can you trust that?

More
6 years 4 months ago #30517 by JonathanC
Replied by JonathanC on topic Leashes with clips
Found a marine rated hook that may be good for attaching leash to belt or pfd.

www.makefast.com/acatalog/Double-Action-...ll-colours-0200.html

Out of stock for now but I have one on back order to try out.
Attachments:

More
6 years 4 months ago #30518 by owenfromwales
Replied by owenfromwales on topic Leashes with clips
JonathanC,

At £21 it better be good!

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
6 years 4 months ago #30519 by JonathanC
Replied by JonathanC on topic Leashes with clips
Ah but Owen, it comes from Wales, its gotta be good!
The following user(s) said Thank You: owenfromwales

More
6 years 4 months ago #30521 by Cryder

LaPerouseBay wrote: That's a good tip Cryder - use those stick ons as a tow up front or a backup for the leash out back. But they don't work very well as a primary mount. I've tried them and ripped that spectra right out without much of a pull.

downwinda: JD convinced me years ago to use the rear leash when he visited Maui years ago. He was using a standard surf leash. It works fine, they are designed to stretch under load. But I didn't like the need to get the length perfect to keep it on the rear deck. Also, the noise of the leash banging on the deck is distracting.

So, I moved on to the NSI, linked in an earlier post in this thread. Great belt - one hand quick release. Soft, stretchy leash that is quiet on the deck. Enough shock absorption to avoid damage to the leash plug - and allow extra reach in the bucket. I can lean forward to reach the vent plug while seated. You can't do that with a solid leash, unless it's so long it drags in the water.

Another huge benefit to the stretchy leash is that I can walk to and from the water while clipped in. That's very handy this time of year when landing at a beach packed with tourists. If there is a swell, I don't want to unclip before launching or landing and risk losing control of the boat. A wayward ski will take out a lot of children playing in shorebreak....

I've tested the NSI adhesive mounts, and have found them super strong. They use a really high quality 3M adhesive that is insanely strong, and the dyneema is a continuous loop through a tough hypalon rubber skin. The one exception; black boats that get hot do weaken glue (I write this someone who's lost a GoPro on a hot, black boat). Besides, the whole point of the extra anchor is that is just one more chance to make contact with a ski that would be lost otherwise after the primary leash plug has blown. Small insurance policy.

Latest Forum Topics