pencil flares in the USA?

More
4 years 10 months ago #34214 by tve
I'm looking for pencil flares that fit into a PFD and are readily available in the US. Does anyone have a recommendation?
It looks like the PainsWessex MK8 that Rob likes are available from West Marine, but only in-store in California (go figure...), so that's an option.

@robin.mousley : how large are the MK8 flares you carry and do they work if you're swimming, separated from the boat? Do you have to keep them in a waterproof bag?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34215 by gstamer
Replied by gstamer on topic pencil flares in the USA?
The Orion Skyblazers are popular. They're  available on Amazon and and West Marine.
I have seen them demonstrated and they are a bit underwhelming, but fit in a PFD.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34216 by tve
Replied by tve on topic pencil flares in the USA?
Thanks for the tip, gstamer. I'm now trying to figure out how large they are, can't find that info anywhere, grrr. They're also >2x the cost of the MK8. That MK8 is pretty beefy in a PFD: 7"x1-1/8"...
Is there any protocol for testing/practicing this stuff?

More
4 years 10 months ago #34218 by [email protected]

@robin.mousley : how large are the MK8 flares you carry and do they work if you're swimming, separated from the boat? Do you have to keep them in a waterproof bag?

They fit easily into the pocket of my Vaikobi PFD.

They most certainly work if you're swimming and no, the flare cartridges are in a water-tight case so I don't keep them in a pouch.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
4 years 10 months ago #34224 by gstamer
Replied by gstamer on topic pencil flares in the USA?
Skyblazers are about 1” X 5” (15/16” X 4 7/8”).  They come 4 to a pack. 

I saw them demonstrated at a kayak symposium.  Only the large parachute flares were impressive. I’m sure more than one expired flare has (illegally) joined in 4th of July fireworks celebrations. That said you should contact your local CG / Power Squadron/ fire department regarding disposal or testing approval. 

The previous generation suffered from water getting past the o-ring in the cap and corroding the firing chain. Some people put them in a condom (doesn’t last long). I vacuum seal them.

Greg

Latest Forum Topics