Re: Ankle leash

More
17 years 1 month ago #41 by AlanC
Re: Ankle leash was created by AlanC
For those looking at ankle leashes you might also like to check out leashes that attach just under the knee.

I use my legs and feet to initiate rotation in the hips and I found the ankle leash cable (it was a coiled one) kept getting caught between my ankle and the foot well or flopping out of the ski.

I've had no trouble remounting with the leash under the knee and for me it is easier to attach when first setting up after a shore break start or to unfasten before a shore break finish.

I got mine through Ocean PaddleSports in CA and the brand name of the leash is Bully.

If you have really skinny legs and knees, some ankle leashes may be long enough to get a good wrap around under the knee, or you can sew on a longer length of velcro to the existing strap. Have this done properly on an industrial sewing machine so that the stitching doesn't rip out under stress.

Alan

www.oceanpaddlesports.com/detail_pages/a...tail/calf-strap.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #42 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Ankle leash

Hi all

I am in the worst city in SA. According to MH magazine ;-) Say where does one get a Huki leash in SA.

The Huki leash resembles a normal coiled surfing leash except that it has velcro on both ends, smaller on the ski end, larger & padded on the paddler end.

So you could try a surfing leash, most likely very similar, from any surf shop.

The Huki leash is high quality & the velcro on the ski end just makes it easier to use.

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
17 years 1 month ago #43 by hukigirl
Replied by hukigirl on topic Re: Ankle leash
The Huki ankle leash fits around most thighs just above the knee. It is much easier to undo here and the coil part does not get in the way at all.

You can also reverse ends and attach the bigger velcroe part around your footstraps and the smaller attachment to the front of your lifejacket.

Kathleen

More
17 years 1 month ago #44 by [email protected]

The Huki ankle leash fits around most thighs just above the knee. It is much easier to undo here and the coil part does not get in the way at all.

Ha - that sounds sensible. I'll try it next time out.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
17 years 1 month ago #45 by HI Paddler
Replied by HI Paddler on topic Re: Ankle leash
I never used a paddle leash, have always used a leash from my leg to my ski (holdover from surfing I guess). My first ski had an ankle leash. I then purchased a "knee" leash (attaches just below the knee like a longboard leash). I prefer the knee leash because its shorter and the boat can't get as far away from me when I go over.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #46 by [email protected]
I recently tried putting my Huki leash around my thigh and I didn't like it at all!
The coil of the leash then kept getting under the opposite leg and it all just felt uncomfortable. So I'm going to stick with putting it around my ankle.

But whatever suits the individual!

Cheers
Rob

Rob

More
16 years 9 months ago #47 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: Ankle leash
In Tahiti we hardly find surfski gear, but we do have big waves... so we also have surfshop.
I use a body board coiled leash. I attach the wrist-end to the footstaps. I added a big velcro part from a longboard leash. it's big enough to be attached just under the knee.
If you find the leash is too long and it goes under your leg, you can pass 2 or 3 coils around the rudder cable, next to your toes. It keeps it streched.

More
16 years 9 months ago #48 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Ankle leash
Did Gordon use a paddle or ankle leash? What prevented his ski from going farther away from him?

Latest Forum Topics