Re: Ankle leash

More
16 years 9 months ago #49 by [email protected]
Gordon had a paddle leash. After a while he discarded his paddle because it was getting in the way when he was swimming his ski along - and I believe he tied himself to his ski with the leash.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #50 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Ankle leash
We can only use one type of leash right? I read on the forum that using 2 spells disaster as it can get you tangled. So choosing between ankle or paddle, which is the ideal choice for safety?

More
16 years 9 months ago #51 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Ankle leash

We can only use one type of leash right? I read on the forum that using 2 spells disaster as it can get you tangled. So choosing between ankle or paddle, which is the ideal choice for safety?

I disagree - I've used both a number of times and I've not had any problems with getting tangled up.

I always use a paddle leash - even a light breeze can blow the ski away very quickly.

I use the ankle leash only on very extreme (high wind/big waves) days.

But - as I said before - I'm very wary of using either leash in big surf e.g. when I go up to Durban, I'll stay unleashed until I get behind the backline and I'll undo the ankle leash before coming back in through the surf.

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 9 months ago #52 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Ankle leash
Jude's stand on leashes:

I cannot stress enough the importance of using some sort of leash that ultimately connects you to the boat...No matter if it's glassy out or if it's storming. The leash will keep the boat at your reach, which also means that it will keep you close to everything that might keep you alive. Staying with your boat makes it possible to continue enjoying your workout or race. Staying with your boat makes it possible to use your emergency gear. Staying with your boat in an emergency makes it easier for rescue people to spot you on the water. All this talk about leashes might suggest, "the more the better" but it's not a good idea to use two leashes on one person, one for your boat and another for your paddle, too many leashes WILL kill you. Don't allow the leash to tangle around your legs and body. If you begin to get tangled, remove the leash from your body or untwist it from yourself right away.

From www.huki.com/store/index.php?main_page=s...cd38a3702ac7b6808825

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 9 months ago #53 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re: Ankle leash
I discovered that my leash is unsafe. It is a surfboard leash designed to go around your ankle, when I wrap it around the much thinner paddle shaft the velcro only overlaps by a quarter.

Last time I fell out the velcro came loose, lucky it was in light conditions.

I have also experimented with carabiners (?spelling) - the things mountain climbers use to hook around a rope. I've used cheap ones to fasten the leash around the footstrap and they have all failed eventually.

My point is that having a leash is one thing, having a well secured and reliable leash is equally important.

More
16 years 9 months ago #54 by Kupuna
Replied by Kupuna on topic Re: Ankle leash
My experience is that in BIG water / wind conditions it's not where you attach the leash to yourself that's important, but where you attach the leash to the BOAT that is critical.

Center cockpit leash attachments cause the boat to turn sideways to TONS of furious water (I think this is Jude's concern in part).

I tie a 3/8" nylon rope to the rudder post and run it forward around me and then tie it to my normal leash (NOT to the cockpit pad-eye or footstrap). If I'm surfing and expect to wipe out, I'll just leave it at that. If not surfing, but still anticipate shorebreak or a big downwind run, I'll attach the leash/stern rope attachment by a LIGHT nylon tye to the cockpit pad-eye. this keeps the rope out of the water and looks neater, as well as allows you to reboard after a minor spill more easily (you pull youself back to the cockpit, not the end of the boat).

Thus, in a normal fall, the nylon tie holds and I get back aboard accordingly. In a big wipout, the tie breaks and the boat is now attached to me by the stern, not the center, so it weathercocks into the wind and waves, making it much easier to recover. It also allows the boat to move away from my vicinity during the wipout, reducing the danger of the boat wacking me.

Prior to landing in a shore break, I pop the tie with a hard jerk to the leash and bail out of the boat before the break, then let it weathercock perpendicular to the waves, and allow it gently in over the shorebreak. Works great and I have yet to break anything (including rudders) using this technique. Also works for getting OUT in big shorebreak too...

My first built-to-order ski had a reinforced bow pad-eye with a long forward leash. Worked well. I had a jam-cleat installed within reach, and could re-attach the rope after a wipeout - it looked better too. Depends on where you can get an attachment point on the bow or stern. It would be nice of builders would include a pad-eye or thru-hull fittings as part of the standard setup....

Hope this helps; good paddling to all.
A hui hou,
Ken Moore
Kaneohe HI

Ken Moore
Kaneohe, HI

More
16 years 9 months ago #55 by Tecpartner
Replied by Tecpartner on topic Re: Ankle leash
Sounds like the best solution. Could you describe the "LIGHT nylon tie"?

I like the idea of having the boat weather cock with the wind.

I'd rather be paddling....

Think EVO II
Epic V10S
Nelo 520
Epic V8

More
16 years 9 months ago #56 by Kupuna
Replied by Kupuna on topic Re: Ankle leash
Yeah, Nylon ribbon ties; the're the flat nylon tie straps with a slotted head on one end that you form an ajustable loop with. The ribbed inside surface clicks through the one-way slot and stays tight once snugged up taunt.

"light" might depend on your strength and the conditions you paddle in. Buy an assortment and experiment. They are also great for broken rudder cables - if you carry a bungee cord in your kit, they can help get you home.

Good Paddling!
Ken

Ken Moore
Kaneohe, HI

Latest Forum Topics