Going in the ice

More
11 years 1 month ago #15731 by Bengt
Going in the ice was created by Bengt
Today we paddle in about 10 km in open sea but sometimes we where blocket by the ice. Dreamed about warm water in our drysuites.This is surfskipaddleing in Sweden right now :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #15732 by Trilobite
Replied by Trilobite on topic Re: Going in the ice
It sounds a lot like surfski paddling in Connecticut, USA right now, too. 12" of snow yesterday. ;) Good news is, spring is on its way here; 50 degrees F on Monday!
Keep the faith-it will be warm again.

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

More
11 years 1 month ago #15734 by ElRicho
Replied by ElRicho on topic Re: Going in the ice
What exactly do you guys paddle in when its that cold? Particulary interested in what you wear on your hands. Cheers

More
11 years 1 month ago #15736 by Bengt
Replied by Bengt on topic Re: Going in the ice
Hi EiRicho! We are paddeling 60 km south of Stockholm in Nynäshamn ( Sweden ) and we have neopren gloves witch are
very functionally down to -10 celsius :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElRicho

More
11 years 1 month ago #15756 by Trilobite
Replied by Trilobite on topic Re: Going in the ice
Hey there,
Suiting up for winter paddling here, our kit is fairly similar. I'm in a Kokatat GFER drysuit (with relief zipper), booties integrated with the suit. Underlayers usually consist of an NRS Hydroskin, with a Kokatat fleece top. Level Six or NRS neoprene shorts and neoprene tights (3-5 ml, depending on the temp), wool socks, layered with a neoprene sock, then the drysuit and an NRS 5 ml neoprene bootie over that. Some sort of dense weave wool cap, or on really cold days, a balaclava (the hood, not the Greek phyllo dough pastry), then the hat.

We've had great results with the NRS Toaster Mitts, as well as the O'Neill and Dakine mitts. They're only 3 ml., but my hands actually sweat in them, right down to 12-14 degrees. I might experiment with some sort of liner to soak up the excess moisture, but the dexterity is pretty darn good as it stands, and if you come out of the boat, you have some hand protection, unlike pogies, to remount.

www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=24472

www.oneill.com/#/men/europe/collection/m...mitt_gloves_1/black/

www.dakine.com/p/gloves/windsurf-kite/20.../cold-water-neo-mitt

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElRicho

Latest Forum Topics