× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Convert sea kayak to center foot braces?

• dyno
  • Interested in South 2 North Runs Belmar to Hook
More
11 years 2 weeks ago #16080 by dyno
New question: Is there an easy way to install centered foot braces in large sea kayak for winter training? I found the standard rudder foot braces too wide to translate to my surf ski, but due to cold, I prefer to train in the large sea kayak in winter. Any advice? I dont need them to move the rudder, just need them to get leg drive.

Sandy Hook NJ - Any one ski paddling?
Epic v10 double
Epic v10 sport * 2
Epic v8
Epic v8 double (summer '17)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #16083 by gstamer
Dyno,

One solution would be to convert to a gas-pedal/footbar type system, such as what ONNO has at www.onnopaddles.com/onnocomponents.html.

The cheapest solution might be to mount a closed-cell (e.g. Minicell) foam block against the bulkhead, that fits between your current footrest and permits leg drive with your feet/knees close together.

Please be aware that not all sea kayaks have a big enough cockpit or enough deck volume to allow you to adopt a similar leg position as per a surf ski.

Greg Stamer

More
11 years 1 week ago #16084 by Trilobite
In my Epic 18, I fabricated a crossbar to span the footpegs using an aluminum closet rod, after seeing one someone else had made. After measuring and cutting it to size with a hacksaw, I hammered the ends flat and pop riveted two flat flanges on either end, drilled for bolts.

Since the boat has the Smart Track pedals, I shaped the flanges with a slight curve to match the curve of the pedals, then drilled straight through the ribs on each pedal, threaded a long bolt through the flange and into the pedal. Due to the length of the bolts, I didn't even need a nut to secure.

While the coaming doesn't quite allow a knees up and out position, driving with the legs with the feet centered (despite not being able to reach the Toe Pilots from the center position), made a big difference.

Another option is to convert to Pat from Onno Paddles' foot pedal assembly. I swapped out the tiller bar in my EFT for his setup and never looked back. Incidentally, the Westside boats essentially use a closet rod along with the tiller setup, as well.

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

More
8 years 11 months ago #23882 by Suburbanbloke
Hi Trilobite,
Can you please post some photos of the 18X foot pedal modification? I'm thinking of modifying my Stellar S16 foot pedal to turn into a racing kayak for winter paddling. From memory both boats have similar beam width: 56cm and both uses SmartTrack pedal system. As such I should be able to literally copy yours.
Cheers,

More
8 years 11 months ago #23885 by vikingsurfer
www.lettmann-shop.de/en/accessories/stea...pedale-verschraubung

I swapped the smarttracks in my wifes seakayak to be more surfski-like.

Lettmanns variant above is easy to mount, just sikaflex or similar under the aluminium-profile. The pedals can be just about vertical (on the picture they are quite far apart), just two bolts to fit in predrilled holes to change angle.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23886 by Suburbanbloke
Thanks a lot VikingSurfer

More
8 years 11 months ago #23888 by owenw
How about these little beauties - better than the ONOs I have fitted to my Taran. expedition-kayaks-australia.myshopify.co...ak-foot-plate-system

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
8 years 11 months ago #23889 by Suburbanbloke
Thanks Owen.

Latest Forum Topics