× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Transport system for surfski

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24420 by happy paddler
Surfski transport should be extra careful. Otherwise the thin hull can be damaged. The pressure on fixation points must be as low as possible. With the view to these requirements I realised an individual solution for my V10S. The idea was to build wide and good padded clamps which are fixed on a ladder. The clamps are closed with straps. - Experiences: The construction works perfect and allows a smooth transport. The ski lies stable on the roof and is 100% protected against damages.
Toni

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by happy paddler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sAsLEX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24429 by AR_convert
Good onya Toni. I have seen lots of home made attempts at looking after light and long boats.

For those like me without the time or engineering skill to DIY this is what I got and I love it.

This guy has made lots of various cradle profiles to fit all the various ski types. Scroll down the page to see various ski's sitting in them.

www.facebook.com/vizfibreglassrepairs?fref=ts

I love my cradle so much I did a video showing it off.

NOTE: I am not associated in any way with this business and do not benefit from his success. I simply applaud his solution to this issue.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by AR_convert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sAsLEX

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24431 by sAsLEX

AR_convert wrote: Fancy V bar video

I got these www.kirtonkayaks.co.uk/home/index.php/sh...s/135-v-bar-aero-kit for my K1 in the UK and thought something like this would be great for the ski. They use the bungy system as well, never trusted it fully and would add a webbing strap around the hull and bars.

Your vid shows a nice evolution of the design by a local supporter of the sport! .

My dodgy T bar system holds my ski nice and stable in comparison to only the original roof racks and cost a bottle of rum - www.surfski.info/media/kunena/attachment.../P3290472800x600.jpg

Good to see some innovation happening!
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by sAsLEX.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24437 by Rubys Dad
Mudpuppy marine makes a very similar product and Dav is based in Toronto, Ontario. I've got two of his set ups and they are awesome.

Transport one double and a single on the same type of system.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24439 by Fath2o
Happy Paddler, I must say that I am particularly impressed with how you repurposed a ladder to lengthen your racks. Excellent idea!
Keep it simple! I'm the kind of guy that uses rope and pool noodles for tie downs and padding. Works great for me and CHEAP.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Fath2o.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24442 by red_pepper
Cliff Roach builds an excellent and reasonably priced aluminum V-bar system in Pennsylvania, USA: goodboykayaks.com/

More
8 years 8 months ago #24447 by JML
A new Surfski and Kayak Transport System is now available.
Specially designed to fit current roof racks or if you prefer we can supply a complete roof rack system to suit your car or van.

Made from 'trade grade' anodised aluminium aero dynamic profiles with rubber finishing inserts to cut down the noise during travel.

Available as Single Ski or Kayak, 2 Ski or kayak, 3 Ski or Kayak, Multi Sport Special with Ski and Bike Rack Carry System or any combination of the above.
These will fit any current roof rack system on your car and can also be supplied without 'kayak carriers' if your existing carriers will fit.

Further details and photos go to fitnesspaddlers.com.au or email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Attachments:

More
8 years 8 months ago #24451 by Fath2o
How about some racks with a little more versatility. 60 kgs. of surfskis or 600+ kgs. of ,well, whatever. No problem!
Attachments:

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24459 by Flowmaster
I made this, after my V8 blew right out of my hands after a downwind session, when I tryed to load in on the roof of my car. This is a much safer option and no salt water anymore on the car to, although who gives aF... Its a second hand luggage carier, some tubes some welding and there you go, in use for over 4 months now and working great, even in force 7 to 8.

...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......
JUST LEAVE FOOTPRINTS
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Flowmaster.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24467 by foundwood
Fantastic idea! You have designed and built a great system there. Here is my solution to the high-wind issue:

More
8 years 8 months ago #24469 by ccchappell
Hi Foundwood,
Your rack with padded adjustable cradles is exactly what I need for my wife and her V10S. Where can you get them?

Thanks
Chris

More
8 years 8 months ago #24470 by foundwood
I made them myself. I am not a retailer or manufacturer, but sometimes my videos make me sound as if I am! I can help you build some for yourself, or provide information to your fabricator.

More
8 years 8 months ago #24472 by Flowmaster
Looks very good and profesional, I'm sure the wind would have no effect when the ski is in the cradle.
In my case, I had Lock Rack mounted and lifting the ski a little above head high, was enough.
Wrong gust, wrong time, but in high winds, it's only a matter of time
Therefore the biggest advantage to have a cradle at chest hight I think.

(It was upwind/downwind and I was alone)

...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......
JUST LEAVE FOOTPRINTS

More
8 years 8 months ago #24481 by supsherpa
Has any one tried Burnham Boat slings?

www.burnhamboatslings.com/2014-ct-1x-sys...with-narrow-cradles/

Thanks

Latest Forum Topics