× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Mounting GoPro to V10 Sport handles

More
7 years 11 months ago #26219 by ptomblin
My 2014 model Epic V10 Sport has carrying handles front and rear. Is there some sort of clamp that I could use to clamp a GoPro to either of those? The GoPro model handlebar mounts don't work because the thumb screws are long and interfere with the boat.

I'm looking for something that can be added and removed without marking up the boat because I want to use it on my own boat but also on the boat I'm renting for the Canadians this year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #26220 by Spacehopper
I find a suction mount works pretty well if you can find a suitably flat bit of deck - you can get knock off versions of them fairly cheap.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #26229 by Uffilation
If suction mount, then with an additional leash for the camera to the handle, with snap ring/carabiner. Finding a flat part of deck sometimes brings it so much closer to the paddler, while one sometimes wants more distance. though.

One can fix a stabdard gopro-mount onto a rod and tie that rod with velcro onto the handle (e.g. industrial velcro from tesa, super strong)

However, you can also take the upper half of the standard gopro handlemount and use two zip ties, put them like an eight around it. Means you'll need 8 of them if you rent the boat 4 times lol ... and small nail scissors.

Removable, see bike handlebar mounts on google:
Axia alloys gopro mount
rammount gopro handlebar
M-B1R gopro mount
Skygrand handlebar
Kingtide gopro mount
some need that 90°gopro connection piece inbetween and I'd allways use a leash, too.

I use an ISY ITT 500 on my epic handle (it's similar to a gorillapod)... I just wrap the arms around the V7 handle, cam additionally secured to the handle with its own leash though, ball mount would move in tough surf/waves though. For my Hawx I have it fixed on the black rudder cover (got a second cover and perma-fixed the mount onto it).
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Uffilation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #26230 by Lance
You could always make a fibreglass mould.
Have a look here:

I have just made another one cos I also got a V10S recently. One can make a front or rear mounted pole. The nice thing is: I made the mould to curve around the tail section, so that you place it, then slide it forward to "lock" in position. Then I duct tape around it. Can lift my ski with it and has survived some heinous wipe outs too :)

More
7 years 10 months ago #26304 by ShaneS
Hi

I find the best temporary mount is the 4" flat square display mount that the GoPro comes packaged with when new - simply tape on with some 'gaffer' tape (use the "100 Mile an hour" cloth tape, not the vinyl duct tape). I've used this system a lot with loaned or demo skis, in surf and swell. If you are nervous you could run a safety lanyard back to your carry handle in case the tape lets go.

SS

Fenn Swordfish S Carbon Hybrid - 2016
Fenn Elite S Carbon - 2016
Stellar SR Excel - 2015
Cobra Expedition - 2013

More
7 years 10 months ago #26359 by aircanuck
I've got the V10 Sport as well. I have the floating "GoPole" handle and I simply bungee that to the handle on the bow. Seems to be working pretty well, and worst case if it ever let go, it has got its floating yellow handle for easy recovery. Really puts my mind at ease versus other tedious mounting solutions.

Latest Forum Topics