× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Salt build up between foot plate and rail holder

More
5 years 8 months ago #32288 by orca_nick
Hi Paddle buddies,

I have a problem, there seems to be salt build up between my foot plate and rail holders on my Fenn. This is weird because I rinse my ski after every paddle (with fresh water).

Does anyone else experience this problem and any suggestions to how I can remove it in a non brutal manner?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Nick
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #32289 by Fath2o
That appears to be galvanic corrosion. Suggest you treat affected areas with vinegar or CLR to remove deposits. Basically an acid to dissolve salt/mineral deposits and oxidation. THOROUGHLY flush foot plate assembly and allow to completely dry between use.
Looks to me like the pictured components could be failing.
I reckon you will get completely different suggestions from others.
Good luck!
Oh, apply and scrub with stiff bristle/toothbrush. May take several applications. Let acid soak in. Can even soak and apply a rag.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Fath2o.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32291 by Ranga
Common problem on the Fenn's. I see it all the time, as mentioned before, corrosion, not salt.
I generally take it all apart, get rid of all the corrosion and then reassemble with epoxy between the faces, creating a barrier between the surfaces. Not an easy task as you will have to recable the ski as trying to do this with it still attached to the ski is almost impossible. If you are not engineering minded not an option.
The other option is to try the first suggestion offered. Not as bad as I have worked on before. You don't have to worry about it breaking as there is a long way to go before that will happen.

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
5 years 8 months ago #32292 by Wombat661
Replied by Wombat661 on topic Salt build up between foot plate and rail holder
Do you wait until you get home to rinse it or do you rinse it right after you get out of water with a portable sprayer.
I rinse that area right after getting out of the water, and it seems to work.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32304 by orca_nick
Thank you all for your analysis and suggestions.

I'll take it apart and treat them as suggested. How long do you think I'll need to soak it, overnight enough?

I rinse off the ski immediately after at the club house but this still happens. It happened to both of fenns which is why I'm puzzled.

Thanks once again,
Nick

More
5 years 8 months ago #32305 by Ranga
You cannot rinse between the two faces, almost impossible.

More
5 years 8 months ago #32306 by Fath2o
I think rinsing is most effective with a high pressure stream of water to the affected parts.

Latest Forum Topics