× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

waterproof socks?

More
5 years 5 months ago #33089 by Mile$
waterproof socks? was created by Mile$
What do you guys use for launching in cold water in the winter. Ive looked at dive boots, but they don't look tall enough. And wadding boots look to big for footwell. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #33092 by Mile$
Replied by Mile$ on topic waterproof socks?
Anyone tried these? still not sure if the bootie will fit under my foot strap. 
www.rei.com/product/783912/kokatat-nomad-paddling-boots
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by [email protected]. Reason: Added live link to URL

More
5 years 5 months ago #33093 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic waterproof socks?
I paddle flat water and these days I have neoprene bottoms with 5mm neoprene socks.  Good enough for getting in and out and keep my feet decently warm.  I don't think its the strap you need to worry about.  It's the footwell width.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mile$

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #33094 by Henning DK
Replied by Henning DK on topic waterproof socks?
I tried waterproof, but when going out from a beach and in a wetsuit (5 mm O'Neill Psycho One), dry feet is not an option. I normally use soft 3 mm Hiko neoprene socks when it gets colder, and for real winter paddling I simply add a pair of good quality winter running socks (with some merino wool) inside the neoprene socks. Feet are wet but warm, and still fit comfortably in the ski.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Henning DK.

More
5 years 5 months ago #33095 by ErikE
Replied by ErikE on topic waterproof socks?

Mile$ wrote: What do you guys use for launching in cold water in the winter. Ive looked at dive boots, but they don't look tall enough. And wadding boots look to big for footwell. Thanks

I have used these www.chillcheater.com/gloves-and-footwear...erproof-wading-socks when it's only slightly too cold for bare feet, www.hikosport.com/neopren-boots/2914-flexi-boty-2914.html when its a bit colder, and both in combination when its even colder.  They don't necessarily keep the feet dry, but do insulate quite well even when waterfilled.

One potential problem with neoprene boots, in addition to not fitting in the footwell, is that if the soles are stiff, you'll lose "pedal-feeling", which makes steering harder.  (the above mentioned Hiko Flexi boots have quite flexible soles)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mile$

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago #33096 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic waterproof socks?
Erik, Where do you buy the flexi shoes (on the web - need them shipped to the US)? I googled it and nothing came up.

My feet were quite cold last night and its time to get some shoes. I like the look of those if I can get them in the US.

Thanks! 

More
5 years 5 months ago #33097 by agooding2
Replied by agooding2 on topic waterproof socks?
I like the Astral boots and shoes flexible enough with good traction and just wear neoprene socks under them. 
The Astral Loyak has plenty of room for footpedals, and are very flexible
www.astraldesigns.com/shop/footwear/mens/loyak-ms
the Astral Hiyak are a little tight in the footwell but have some insulation added
www.astraldesigns.com/shop/footwear/unisex/hiyak
Both will last a lot longer than neoprene footgear.
-- Andrew

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

More
5 years 5 months ago #33098 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic waterproof socks?
I'm in the same boat (no pun intended). Last year I bought a pair of NRS boundary boots. www.nrs.com/product/2308/nrs-boundary-shoe. They are great as long as you stay in shallow water and keep your feet toasty warm and dry with a nice pair of wool socks underneath. The only problem is they are quite bulky and I could barely stuff them under the deck of my sea kayak. They are too wide to stuff in the footbox of my Epic surfski. So far I've been using a pair of 5mm neoprene wetsuit booties and my feet were pretty cold when the temp was in the 40's (Fahrenheit). I'm torn between abandoning my surfski for the winter and just paddling my sea kayak. I might eventually cave and buy a drysuit, but with 2 kids in college its a little hard to swing right now.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #33099 by ErikE
Replied by ErikE on topic waterproof socks?

MCImes wrote: Erik, Where do you buy the flexi shoes (on the web - need them shipped to the US)? I googled it and nothing came up.

I bought mine here: www.welhonpesa.fi/tuote/3099/hiko-flexi-neopreenitossu
I don't know if they ship to US, or what the shipment costs might be in that case.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by ErikE.

More
5 years 5 months ago #33100 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic waterproof socks?
Maybe thick neoprene surfing booties with fleece socks?

More
5 years 4 months ago #33176 by Wavehugger
Replied by Wavehugger on topic waterproof socks?
Atan socks work very well, choice of 3 and 6,5 mill. Windsurfers use these for the "barefoot" feeling: www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/atan-m-153.html

More
5 years 4 months ago #33185 by tve
Replied by tve on topic waterproof socks?
Marcus, you could try www.rei.com/product/883302/sea-to-summit...a-flex-water-booties, they had them at the S.B. store earlier this year.

Latest Forum Topics