× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

grip question

• Txski
  • Visitor
16 years 2 weeks ago #1982 by Txski
grip question was created by Txski
Been paddling 5 years now and never had a problem with blisters or bruises....until this week. On both hands the thumb knuckle(farthest from the tip) in the V is getting really bruised and swollen from the shaft pressing against it. I changed something obviously and thinking it has to be the wrist angle of the pushing hand. My wrist used to be cocked back slightly but now is very much in line. I thought that is where it was supposed to be. Has anyone else experience this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• benneta
  • Visitor
16 years 2 weeks ago #1983 by benneta
Replied by benneta on topic Re: grip question
I've got the same, but I don't know if it's good or bad - I think it's a result of not cocking your wrist but I'd like to hear what those who know say. In the mean time I wear cycling gloves which are padded in just the right place.

• Txski
  • Visitor
16 years 2 weeks ago #1984 by Txski
Replied by Txski on topic Re: grip question
Guess I'll answer my own question after messing around with the shaft to find the culprit.
I've been making an abnormally steep catch than normal for me lately. That's fine but forgot to do one thing; I didn't raise the elbow higher but just manipulated the top hand in a funky downward position for a vertical catch. So everything wasn't actually in line(shoulder, elbow and wrist) like I perceived. I think I've given the advice to others but am not following it obviously. Anyhow this funky un-ergonomic hand position gave the shaft a chance to put a lot of pressure on that thumb knuckle which caused a nasty sore. It never ends and is never the same, that's why it's so addicting : )

Latest Forum Topics