× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Using an untaped pad to test seat padding

More
3 years 7 months ago #37246 by Arcturus
Well, I reluctantly conclude that I need more padding for my sit bones than a 2mm neoprene wetsuit provides. Not only to put less pressure on the bones and bursae themselves, but also because I strongly suspect a tad more height (relative to the footplate) would feel better.

I’ll cut up a piece of old closed-cell foam sleeping pad to fit, maybe into one twice as long as necessary and folded over, to compare single thickness and double thickness. The pad is about 1/4” thick, a bit softer than minicell but should work for testing. Stability with increased height, at least for the single 1/4” thickness, is not likely to be a problem.

For those who have experimented similarly with an untaped-down pad, does it grind into the bucket or does it move with your body? My wetsuit does not bind on the bucket.

I don’t want to put padding INTO my wetsuit because it fits well as is.

Epic made what looks like a good seat pad with a slippery topside but it is out of stock everywhere I searched. I’m in the US, so not many vendors of ski stuff,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37247 by agooding2
If it is too sticky for rotation a plastic bag would help. 

Some others recently have suggested UHMW tape on the foam, but the plastic bag would be the first step.

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

• MCImes
  • Visitor
3 years 7 months ago #37248 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Using an untaped pad to test seat padding
I think I have an extra epic seat pad ive never used thats in acceptable condition you can have for free. PM me if you want it.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37249 by Epicpaddler
I tried a 1/4” piece of closed cell foam. I didn’t tape it down and it did not move. I’ll have to try the plastic bag trick. Way too much friction like that. 

More
3 years 7 months ago #37250 by Arcturus
McImes, I sent you a PM. Thanks for the kind offer!

I cut the foam and found a plastic bag that is almost the perfect size to contain it. This’ll be interesting to see if the height feels better. Pretty sure the extra padding will. And it even fits under the rear deck bungies for easy carrying.

Funny, but when I first tried a ski I liked the seat position being higher than the footplate. Still feels as though my body wants a little more height, so the question is at what point will it be unstable.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37251 by waverider
If the padding is towards the back of the bucket only and you positively rotate the non driving hip forward slippiness of the pad is not as much of an issue as most of your butt is still on the slippy part of the bucket with the pad acting more like a "stopper". Positioning of the pad is important

Latest Forum Topics