× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Frozen cables

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #37804 by mrcharly
Frozen cables was created by mrcharly
I had trouble paddling the other day. Pedals really hard to move, initially thought that something inside the boat was catching a cable.
The real cause was ice. The cables were wet and frozen, where they entered hull was frozen.
These are fibre/cord cables, rather than wire (which could have some lub added). 
What do people do to prevent and overcome this?
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by mrcharly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #37819 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Frozen cables
A guy I know who paddles in temps far below freezing has that issue and we were recently joking about all sorts of ridiculous solutions like steering buttons on the footplate controlling battery powered steering, and rudder lines routed along the bottom of the boat where it is warmer. He had no great fix for the problem. I have not had my lines freeze but the coldest I paddle is right around freezing and I only do that if it is a big downwind, in which case the lines are moving a ton and getting washed with water a lot. Maybe try a few drops of windshield wiper fluid from the car? should lower the freezing point a bit. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
3 years 4 months ago #37824 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Frozen cables
You paddling fresh or salt water?, I would think salt would reduce freezing

More
3 years 4 months ago #37827 by mrcharly
Replied by mrcharly on topic Frozen cables
Currently only able to paddle on fresh water (small river, so it gets cold quickly).

the nelo 510 has a depression in the plastic where the cables enter the hull, and water collected there. My boat is kept under cover, but we get freezing fogs here, so ice had built up on the cables and where they enter the hull (and tubing).

Responses have given me some ideas. I'm going to check if vaseline attacks polypropylene (I suspect that is what is used for these cables).

More
3 years 4 months ago #37829 by zachhandler
Maybe try peeing on the frozen area next time?

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
3 years 4 months ago #37830 by TimT
Replied by TimT on topic Frozen cables
Great idea Zach! I could wear a Texas cath and run the tubing out through the ankle of my wetsuit! Of course I would then lose the warming effect of peeing in my wetsuit. 

Think Zen, Epic V9

More
3 years 4 months ago #37831 by zachhandler
I was thinking you could remove one booty and just let the de-icing fluid casually run out the ankle onto the rudder assembly, but if one leg is up on the ski then then gravity will always take the urine to the other ankle. This is getting complicated. 

More
3 years 4 months ago #37832 by Arcturus
Replied by Arcturus on topic Frozen cables
Maybe plain paraffin wax rubbed into them would work.

Or even vegetable oil, or mineral oil.

Latest Forum Topics